As we are all well aware, a world-wide pandemic called the coronavirus or COVID-19 has turned the lives of millions upside down. We are literally flooded with information but still have detailed questions about our day-to-day decisions that seem to go unanswered. Dr. Elisa Song, MD, is a pediatrician and functional medicine expert who is also a mom, so she knows exactly the questions that are on our minds.
- Is this virus serious, or media hype?
- Is it safe to go to the park or have playdates?
- If we get sick, how will I know when to call the doctor?
- Should I stock up on food or medicines?
- Is elderberry syrup good or bad for coronavirus?
Dr. Elisa tackles all this and more in this episode, and I share too what I’m doing at home to try to help slow the spread and negative effects of COVID-19.
Episode Highlights: Coronavirus
- What coronavirus is, and is it really new?
- COVID-19 facts vs. myths
- What’s happening in other countries vs. the US
- Symptoms associated with coronavirus
- How social distancing and self-quarantine works to control a pandemic
- A simple formula to monitor breathing if your child gets sick
- When to call the doctor and what to do if you suspect COVID-19
- Cytokine storms: what are they and could elderberry make it worse?
- Ways to talk to kids about what’s happening (without provoking anxiety)
- What supplies to have on hand
- What our family is doing at home to prepare
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Dawn Huebner (and books by Dawn Huebner)
- How to Talk to Your Kids About Coronavirus (blog post and video interview with Dr. Song and Dawn Huebner)
- Homemade Hand Sanitizer Recipes on Healthy Kids Happy Kids and Wellness Mama
- Homemade Sanitizing Wipes Recipe
- Hand washing and Coronavirus: Are You Doing It the Right Way?
- John Hopkins COVID-19 tracker
What I’m Using
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin C (use code wellnessmama10 for 10% off)
- Genexa (use code WELLNESS for 20% off)
- Air Filters
- Plant Therapy Essential Oils (Germ Destroyer or Germ Fighter blends. Use code wellnessmama for 10% off)
More From Wellness Mama
- My Common-Sense Guide to Viruses and Pandemics (for Moms)
- My Top 5 Practical & Easy Natural Remedies (I Couldn’t Live Without)
- What’s in My Medicine Cabinet
- DIY Foaming Hand Soap
Are you worried about the coronavirus? Do you have other questions I can pass on to Dr. Elisa? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is brought to you by Radiant Life Catalog. Radiant Life is a woman-owned, family-run online health and wellness company specializing in food-based supplements, nutrient-dense foods, eco-friendly housewares, and water filtration and purification. After spending over 20 years in the health industry, Radiant Life realized that one of the overlooked components of wellbeing is access to clean, healthy and hydrating water. Now, they have a range of filters that fix this for every type of house and budget from countertop to under counter and even whole house like the one we have. Their systems are crafted with a health and wellness focus. They improve the taste and smell of water but, more importantly, they remove a wide range of potentially harmful contaminants. They also have an in-house water expert available all the time to guide you through the system selection process and answer all of your questions via phone or email. Their systems are also designed and built in the USA and really high quality. Go to radiantlife.com/wellnessmama and get $200 off a Whole House or 14-Stage Water System with the code WMPODCAST.
This podcast is brought to you by Wellnesse, a new company I co-founded to tackle the toughest personal care products and create natural and safe products that work as well as conventional alternatives. I realized that even the most natural of my friends still used conventional toothpaste and shampoo because they weren’t willing to sacrifice quality. There are natural options and ones that work, but find products that do both was almost impossible. We tackled the toughest first, creating the first and only natural toothpaste that is fluoride and glycerin free, and that has calcium and hydroxyapatite to uniquely support the mineral balance in the mouth. It also contains neem oil and green tea to support a healthy bacterial balance in the mouth and fight bad breath. Be the first to try it and our innovative natural hair care at wellnesse.com