This episode goes deep on the science of psychedelic-assisted therapy and research in light of some really astounding Phase III clinical trials that have recently come out about some of these substances. I am here with Amy Emerson, the CEO of the MAPS Public Benefit Corporation of the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies.
Just as an example of what’s possible, in one recent study two-thirds of participants were able to go from severe PTSD to no longer even meeting the criteria for PTSD diagnosis. I can relate to the need for this through my own experience of dealing with past trauma and think this has absolute game-changing potential for a lot of people who are going through really difficult things.
Episode Highlights With Amy Emerson
- What MAPS is and the research they are doing
- The two parts of MAPS- research and non-profit
- The often misunderstood role of psychedelic compounds in therapy
- Recent phenomenal research on MDMA for trauma
- What is going on in the brain and the body that allows this to be so profoundly impactful for so many people
- Why MDMA became a schedule 1 substance and what the current research shows
- The safety data on MDMA and other compounds
- How 2/3rds of people no longer had a PTSD diagnosis after MDMA therapy and how this led to a breakthrough treatment diagnosis
- The comparison of these therapies to existing models
- 88% of people had a clinical significant response to MDMA therapy
- Why compounds like MDMA work to help process trauma so effectively
- What the path ahead looks like for these therapies as an approved and widely available medical treatment
- And more
Resources We Mention
- MAPS (Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies)
- Just Say Know (program for young adults)
- Drug Education for Teens
- The Secret Chief by Myron J. Stolaroff
- The Cosmic Serpent by Jeremy Narby
- MAPS Public Benefit Corporation
- Application to the MDMA-assisted therapy for PTSD study
What did you think of this episode? Anything to add? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is sponsored by Paleovalley and their Apple Cider Vinegar Complex. Their ACV comes in capsules, which is important because you can get all the healing properties of apple cider vinegar into your daily diet without the fuss or the burn or the taste that some people just don’t like. Apple cider vinegar is really cool because it’s been shown to support digestion and the proper breakdown of proteins and amino acids for better absorption. It’s also known for improving blood sugar response and this helps a lot with satiety and cravings. The main ingredient is acetic acid, which supports in the body and extracting nutrients from food. And using those by the body may actually help increase satiety and help the body avoid storing excess fat, which is really cool if you’re trying to lose or maintain weight. Paleovalley combines apple cider vinegar with other healing spices like turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, and lemon so that you get extra benefits for digestion. And this means that taking it with a meal can help you get the most bang for your buck from your food since it stimulates the body’s natural ability to produce HCL, which protects the stomach from pathogens and helps us break down our food. Other research shows that its ability to really help with blood sugar control. And there was even a cool study on type 2 diabetics who took two tablespoons before bed and saw a 4% to 6% reduction in their fasting blood sugar the next morning, which is a big deal if that’s something you’re tracking. You can learn more about this and all the Paleovalley products by going to paleovalley.com/mama and make sure to use the code Mama15 to save 15%.
This podcast is brought to you by Just Thrive,a company near and dear to my heart (and my gut). Gut health really is connected to everything, and in today’s world, we encounter a lot of things that try to mess with our gut bacteria, from food to stress and even environmental toxins. The gut has been called the second brain and we learn more each day about it’s vital role in all aspects of health. Just Thrive probiotic is the first one I’ve seen and felt a noticeable difference from almost immediately, with their patented Bacillus Indicus HU36 strain that helps turn your gut into an antioxidant factory. Since focusing on my gut and making these a regular part of my life, I’ve seen digestive and skin changes. Just Thrive probiotic is vegan, dairy free, histamine free, non-GMO, and is made without soy, sugar, salt, corn, nuts or gluten, so it’s safe for practically everyone… I even sprinkle it in my kids’ food and bake it into products since it can survive at up to 450 degrees! I actually love all of their products and have been especially enjoying their prebiotic drink, which is absolutely delicious too! Check them out at justthrivehealth.com/wellnessmama and use the code wellnessmama15 to save 15% at checkout.