Nicole Jardim is a Certified Women’s Health Coach and Functional Nutrition Coach who specializes in helping women with hormonal problems. She has some much needed insight especially on the subject of the birth control pill and some of its lesser known effects.
Nicole is the creator of “Fix Your Period,” a series of e-courses that empower women to reclaim their hormonal health in a fun and sassy way. Nicole also cohosts the The Period Party, one of the top-rated podcasts on iTunes. She’s helped thousands of women from all around the world who are struggling with PCOS, infertility, amenorrhea, PMS, and much more.
While we may be treading into controversial waters, this is a topic that affects so many women and deserves to be examined from every angle. I’m grateful that Nicole is here to share her story and the solutions she’s found.
In This Episode You’ll Learn
- how birth control works … and what your doctor probably hasn’t told you about it
- why birth control research hasn’t progressed in 50 years
- pros and cons of current birth control options (and some alternatives)
- the hidden health costs of being on the birth control pill long term
- effects of direct-to-consumer advertising in the pharmaceutical industry
- the shocking number of birth control prescriptions that have nothing to do with contraception
- Nicole’s take on whether Natural Family Planning (NFP) works (and I might weigh in just a little too …)
- why taking the pill for acne or to “regulate” a period isn’t a good idea
- what follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) does in the body, and what happens when it gets out of balance
- advances in fertility monitoring that offer a completely natural way to plan (or avoid) pregnancy
- what low sex drive has to do with the pill
- the domino effect stress has on hormones
- premature ovarian failure: what it is and why it’s on the rise
- the connection between birth control and gut dysfunction, including Crohn’s, IBS, and Leaky Gut
- changes you can start making today toward good hormonal health
- Nicole’s recommendations on the best supplements to take to start correcting nutrient deficiencies
- and more!
Resources We Mention
Period Symptom Quiz (and Fix Your Period Jumpstart Kit)
From Nicole’s Blog:
- Are Birth Control Side Effects Ruining Your Life?
- How I Became a Women’s Health Coach
- Huge Study Links Birth Control to Depression
- 5 Surprising Things that Can Stop Ovulation and Impair Fertility
- How to Start Using Natural Birth Control
- Get Off the Birth Control Pill the Right Way
From Wellness Mama:
- Natural Alternatives to Hormonal Contraception
- 9 Tips to Help Balance Hormones Naturally
- Natural Remedies for PMS and Cramps
- Natural Remedies for Acne
- Healthy Moms Podcast 47: Long-Term Dangers of Birth Control Pills (with Mary Lee Snodgrass)
Daysy Fertility Monitor
Have you ever experienced negative side effects from the birth control pill? Do you use a natural alternative and has it worked for you? Please share!
Special Thanks to Today’s Sponsors
This episode is brought to you by The Good Kitchen. Have you ever wished you could have delicious and healthy meals on the table in mere minutes? The Good Kitchen answers that problem. And they don’t just send you the ingredients like some delivery services. They send you fully prepared, chef-quality meals (including healthy school lunches) right to your door. Their meats are grass-fed and pastured and they use freshly sourced produce as well. You can check them out at wellnessmama.com/go/goodkitchen.
This episode is also brought to you by Primal Kitchen. (We just have all the good kitchens today!) It’s founded by my friend, Mark Sisson of Mark’s Daily Apple. The Primal Kitchen is now my source for some of my favorite kitchen staples. I have made my own mayo for years and years because there were never any good options to buy that didn’t have vegetable oils in them. Primal Kitchen has completely changed that with their products. If you haven’t tried their delicious avocado oil mayo (especially the chipotle mayo!) you are seriously missing out. You can check them out at primalblueprint.com and if you use the code WELLNESSMAMA you get 10% off any order.