You all ask so many great questions that I like to do a solo episode once in a while to answer some of the things on your mind. Of course I’m not a doctor, but I am a mom who’s been totally immersed in health for the last 15 years!
As for today’s topics, I’ve gotten so many questions about how I managed to lose so much weight that I’ll start there. The answer to this will be different for everyone, but I will share what changed, how I approach calories now, and how inner emotional work was the biggest piece of the puzzle. And you know I can’t help but throw in a few other thoughts along the way!
Episode Highlights: Ask Katie Anything
- Why I eat 120 grams of protein a day (yes… really!)
- What your nervous system has to do with your weight
- The reason there’s no perfect diet that’s best for everyone
- Ways to activate the parasympathetic mode for improved digestion
- Supplements I take and how I rotate them
- What I’m trying with my new fitness routine
- A big fear I’m trying to tackle
- Why I no longer do the AIP diet
- The difference sleep can make in stress, weight, and health overall (and how to optimize it)
- Why I still go barefoot as much as possible
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- 309: How I Overcame Trauma (and Lost 50 Pounds)
- How to Lose Weight: What Worked for Me to Lose 80+ Pounds
- 8 Benefits of Sardines (& How to Make Them Taste Great)
- Podcast 371: How Eating More Protein Will Transform Your Metabolism w/ Dr. Gabrielle Lyon
- Podcast 373: Why Sunlight Is As Important As Nutrition and Exercise for Health & Lifespan With Ari Whitten
- Nutrition Genome
- Oura Ring
- Creatix Sauna
- Joovv red light therapy devices
- Breathwrk app
- My Oral Health Routine (That Stopped My Cavities)
- Wellnesse toothpaste
- Benefits of Going Barefoot (and the Best Barefoot Shoes)
More From Wellness Mama
- 189: How Red Light Therapy or Photobiomodulation Works & How to Get the Benefits With Joovv
- 377: How to Overcome Stress, Cravings & Weight Gain With The Watkins Method
- 385: Root Canals, Wisdom Teeth, Remineralizing Teeth, and More With Dr. Kelly Blodgett
- 177: Why (Almost) Everything You Know About Dental Health Is Wrong With Periodontist Dr. Al Danenberg
- The Benefits of Red Light Therapy (Photobiomodulation)
- My Home Organization System & How I “Get It All Done”
- Alternatives to Braces (& What I’m Doing With My Kids)
Did you like this episode? Want to send me a question? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This episode is brought to you by Gladskin, an incredible new product and resource for anyone who is struggling with eczema. This product is rooted in a really unique scientific understanding of the skin’s microbiome. Gladskin has unearthed an innovative new way to solve eczema that helps to treat the root and not just the symptom. It’s a new category of non-prescription eczema treatment rooted in endolysin science, and has received recognition from today’s leading dermatologists and pediatricians. While most microbiome studies have focused on the health implications of what’s found deep in the gut we’re now finding that healthy skin, just like a healthy gut, requires a balance of bacteria. In fact, four out of five people with eczema have a specific type of imbalance in their skin bacteria or their skin microbiome. And this is where Gladskin comes in. When the skin balance bacteria gets out of balance, eczema is more likely to flare. So a targeted approach to that takes into account the microbiome’s good and bad bacteria is critical to relieving the redness and itching of eczema. Although new and unique in its approach in the U.S., this has already been a proven solution for eczema in Europe for five years and received recognition from leading dermatologists and pediatricians. It’s also been accepted by the National Eczema Association and is a different approach altogether compared to steroid creams and traditional over the counter moisturizers. The best part of Gladskin is hypoallergenic and free of steroids, fragrances, drying alcohols, and harmful preservatives. It’s stored fresh in a pharmaceutical quality bottle so they don’t need to use the chemical preservatives found in most over the counter creams and lotions. I hear from a lot of you whose children have eczema, and I’m so excited to get to share this resource. You can find out more and get an automatic 10% discount by going to wellnessmama.com/go/gladskin. To get a 10% discount, it should be automatic, but you can also use the code WellnessMama10 if you have any trouble.
This episode is sponsored by Hiya chewable kids vitamins. It’s a new company I found that my kids are extremely excited about. Do you know that most typical children’s vitamins are essentially just candy in disguise? Many have as much as two teaspoons of sugar, along with some food dyes, some other unhealthy chemicals, or gummy junk that kids should probably never eat as a dentist would probably agree with. Hiya is the complete opposite. It fills the most common gaps in children’s diets with full-body nourishment and a yummy taste they love without any of that junk. While most children’s vitamins might contain as much as 5 grams of sugar, it can cause a variety of health issues. Hiya has created a zero sugar, zero gummy, junk-free vitamin that tastes great, and as my kids will attest, is delicious. It’s perfect even for picky eaters. Also importantly, it’s manufactured in the U.S. with globally sourced ingredients, each selected and screened for optimal bioavailability and absorption. What’s cool is they send us to your door on the pediatrician recommended schedule. And the first month, you get a reusable glass bottle, that you can personalize with stickers. So every month thereafter, they send a no plastic refill pouch, which means it isn’t just good for your kids, it’s also good for the environment, and it reduces waste. My kids love the little glass jar that the vitamins are in and I love how it’s low waste. You can find out all about them, and their sourcing, and the many benefits by going to hiyahealth.com/wellnessmama.