This episode is about one of my favorite research topics, oral health. I’m here with Dr. Kelly Blodgett, a recognized leader in holistic dentistry. Dr. Kelly has a fascinating and integrative approach to common dental health questions on topics like root canals, wisdom teeth, remineralizing teeth, gum disease, and a lot more.
And some of his answers are surprising!
Look him up if you live in Portland, where he runs his dental practice and works to educate patients about why a healthy mouth matters for so much more than teeth.
Episode Highlights With Dr. Kelly Blodgett
- What’s really going on when someone is told they need a root canal
- Other options and how to know what is best
- The root cause of chronic infections in the mouth
- Long term effects of root canals (check out my post on this below as well)
- Alternatives to root canals including removal of the tooth
- Why x-rays aren’t the only option and how to use infrared thermography instead
- Some reasons why you might want bacteria in your mouth (really!)
- Hidden culprits behind most cavities
- Substances other than sugar that cause decay
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Dr. Kelly Blodgett Instagram | Website
- Wellnesse toothpaste
- Root Canal: Dangerous or Just Misunderstood?
- My Oral Health Routine (That Stopped My Cavities)
- Podcast 127: Using the Dental Diet to Reverse Dental Problems with Dr. Steven Lin
- Beating the Heart Attack Gene by Bradley Bale MD
- The Dental Diet by Dr. Steven Lin
- Hidden Epidemic: Silent Oral Infections Cause Most Heart Attacks and Breast Cancers by JD Levy MD
- Nutrition and Physical Degeneration by Weston A. Price DDS
- Whole Body Dentistry by Mark Breiner
- More Than a Carpenter by Josh McDowell
More From Wellness Mama
- 355: What You Need to Know About Cavities, Gum Disease, and TMJ With Dr. Thomas Birkenhauer
- 86: The Science of the Oral Microbiome and Remineralization with Will of OraWellness
- 177: Why (Almost) Everything You Know About Dental Health Is Wrong With Periodontist Dr. Al Danenberg
- Homemade Remineralizing Toothpaste Recipe (Natural + Simple)
- Wellnesse Products Review – Natural Toothpaste & Haircare That Works!
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This episode is sponsored by Hiya chewable kids vitamins. It’s a new company I found that my kids are extremely excited about. Do you know that most typical children’s vitamins are essentially just candy in disguise? Many have as much as two teaspoons of sugar, along with some food dyes, some other unhealthy chemicals, or gummy junk that kids should probably never eat as a dentist would probably agree with. Hiya is the complete opposite. It fills the most common gaps in children’s diets with full-body nourishment and a yummy taste they love without any of that junk. While most children’s vitamins might contain as much as 5 grams of sugar, it can cause a variety of health issues. Hiya has created a zero sugar, zero gummy, junk-free vitamin that tastes great, and as my kids will attest, is delicious. It’s perfect even for picky eaters. Also importantly, it’s manufactured in the U.S. with globally sourced ingredients, each selected and screened for optimal bioavailability and absorption. What’s cool is they send us to your door on the pediatrician recommended schedule. And the first month, you get a reusable glass bottle, that you can personalize with stickers. So every month thereafter, they send a no plastic refill pouch, which means it isn’t just good for your kids, it’s also good for the environment, and it reduces waste. My kids love the little glass jar that the vitamins are in and I love how it’s low waste. You can find out all about them, and their sourcing, and the many benefits by going to hiyahealth.com/wellnessmama.
Today’s episode is brought to you by Beekeeper’s Naturals. They’re on a mission to reinvent your medicine cabinet with clean remedies that really work because they believe as do I, that you and your family deserve to feel your best all day every day naturally. They create clean science-backed remedies using bee products to naturally support your daily health. You have probably heard me talk about them before because I’m a huge fan. But I wanna talk specifically about one of my favorite products from them that you will always find on my nightstand and in my purse, and that is their Propolis Throat Spray. They have one for adults and for children. And I think of this as a daily defender when it comes to supporting the immune system, or soothing scratchy, or just tired throats. I started taking voice lessons about a year ago and I love it. But some days, I can tell I push a little too hard and my throat gets tired. And even though I’m not getting sick, Propolis is really, really soothing. It is also a natural immune support. So like I said, first sign of anything throat-related, we use four sprays. And then often just for immune support, I’ll use four sprays in the morning or certainly any time I’m traveling. Their Propolis Throat Spray is sustainably sourced and contains just three simple ingredients. You won’t find any refined sugars, or nasty dyes, or hard to pronounce chemicals inside. This is a really cool part. If you’re not familiar with propolis, most of us are familiar with honey and a lot of other bee products. But Propolis is a little bit not as common and it’s super fascinating. It is a natural compound that bees make out of plants and tree resins. It’s not honey. And the bees make this and use it to defend their hive from germs and bacteria. So essentially, it’s part of the hives immune system, that you even use Propolis when something, like, a really big invader, like a mouse, for instance, gets into the hive, they can encompass it in Propolis so that as it breaks down, it’s not a bacterial threat to the hive. It’s such a fascinating, incredible compound and one that I’m very glad is part of my natural medicine cabinet. If you are also ready to upgrade your medicine cabinet, I would recommend stocking up on their Propolis because it does tend to go out of stock pretty often. You can check that out and all of their products, including their B.Soothed Cough Syrup and others at their website, and you can save 15% on your first order by going to beekeepersnaturals.com/wellnessmama.