Today I’m talking with Dr. Afrouz Demeri on several different topics concerning natural health and on the theme of finding health with a mind-body approach. Dr. Afrouz has helped people for many years as a light-sensitive naturopathic doctor who specializes in integrative functional medicine (especially for women). And her goal isn’t to just treat symptoms but to get to the root cause of hormone imbalance, thyroid disorders, autoimmunity, and more.
After I shared my own story, many of you have asked me how to reach physical healing through addressing the inner healing. Dr. Afrouz really digs deep into this topic in our talk and shares some practical strategies on the mind-body connection. We talk about how to address subconscious and inner emotional aspects of health, and how to ask ourselves better questions so we can get better health answers.
Dr. Afrouz also covers different ways we can support hormone function as women and the importance of the simple things, like sunlight, rest, and quiet. Plus she goes into how to incorporate these into our lives and approach our health from a place of curiosity instead of judgment. Our conversation went in a lot of different directions and I think it’s applicable to everyone listening!
Episode Highlights With Dr. Afrouz
- How she went from wanting to do neurosurgery to the work she does now in naturopathic medicine
- Why the things people come in for her to help with often aren’t the things they need to work on
- The mind and body connection and how she uses biopsychology in her practice
- Modalities she uses to help address the subconscious and inner emotional aspects
- Better questions to ask yourself in getting to better health answers
- Common pitfalls she sees that women encounter when it comes to hormone health
- Ways to support proper hormone function as a woman
- The importance of sunlight for hormone support
- How to approach your health from a perspective of curiosity instead of judgment
- The way she reversed her own Hashimoto’s with crying, iodine, and other modalities
- Ways to support liver health
Resources We Mention
- Dr. Afrouz Demeri
- Molecules Of Emotion: The Science Behind Mind-Body Medicine by Candace B. Pert
- You Are the Placebo: Making Your Mind Matter by Dr Joe Dispenza
- The Biology of Belief: Unleashing the Power of Consciousness, Matter, & Miracles by Bruce H. Lipton
- Mind Over Medicine: Scientific Proof That You Can Heal Yourself by Lissa Rankin M.D.
- Cured by Jeffrey Rediger M.D.
- Ted Lasso
More From Wellness Mama
- 526: Clark Bartram on Sustainable Health through Mindset, Meals, Movement, Community & Supplementation
- 676: Thyroid Health, Metabolism, Hormones, and How to Improve Them With Dr. Amie Hornaman
- 693: Rewire Your Gut Brain Connection: How to Heal Your Body with Your Mind With Lauryn Lax
- 440: Dr. Ari Langdon on Working Through Trauma & Understanding the Mind/Body Connection