I think it’s safe to say we’re all looking for a faster, easier way to protect our family’s good health in a world full of toxins and poor food choices. Today’s podcast is all about an under appreciated superfood that can help fill the gap.
They’ve know the secret in Japan and Asia for a while…
Sorry, no, it’s not wine or chocolate (bummer), but thanks to my guest Catharine Arnston it can become just as much of a staple in the American diet!
Energy Bits: Ancient Algae for Modern Times
When Catharine’s sister contracted breast cancer in 2009, she immediately devoted herself to searching out natural superfoods from across the globe that could help. She was astonished to uncover decades of research on the amazing health benefits of two ancient “greens” that have been part of the food chain almost since time began … spirulina and chlorella.
Catharine set about creating a delicious and portable way for more people to get their greens without eating their veggies, so to speak. No need for powders, water, or a blender … Catharine’s line of “EnergyBits” makes these superfoods tasty, portable, and always convenient.
Even picky eaters will love them!
In This Episode You’ll Learn
- the surprising reason the Japanese don’t generally need any vitamins
- why the original superfood is one of the most overlooked in the American diet
- how a small serving of EnergyBits can satisfy hunger and keep you full
- safe types of algae to eat (and ones to stay away from)
- why algae is good for sleep and even mental health
- the differences between chlorella and spirulina and which might be a good choice for you
- why we should actually want some bacteria in our lives
- the amino acids and GLA that make spirulina almost as good as breastmilk
- one important caution if pregnant or nursing
- how to make sure your algae is free of toxins
- and more!
Resources We Mention
- Special Offer! Go to EnergyBits.com and use the code “WELLNESSMAMA” (all one word) for 20% off!
- More About Chlorella
- More About Spirulina
- EnergyBits Nutritional Charts
- Comparison to Energy Drinks, etc.
- Which Bits Do I Buy?
- Catharine’s go-to snack recipe: A handful of EnergyBits with macadamia nuts and dark chocolate chips
- HomeBiotic – How I keep a healthy bacterial microbiome in my home
- Mother Dirt – The live bacteria spray I use for healthy skin microbiome
- Spirulina Powder
- Chlorella Powder
For More on This Topic, See:
- 68: The Miracle of Microbirth: What Every Mother Should Know
- 62: Good Clean Dirt with Jasmina Aganovic of Mother Dirt
- 40: Is Microalgae a Superfood?
- The Benefits of Lemon Water
- Spirulina Benefits: 7 Reasons to Try It (& 1 Major Caution)
- Chlorella Benefits & Uses (and When It Can Be Dangerous)
- Green Superfood Powder: Worth it? (+ How to Find a Good One)
Do you work algae into your diet? How? Please share in the comments or leave me a review on iTunes. I read each and every comment, and my guests often do too and might answer your questions!