What’s the most nutrient-dense food in the world, has thousands of different strains, and is green all over? Let me introduce you to algae! I’m talking with repeat podcast guest Catharine Arnston about the amazing health benefits of algae and what it can do for us.
Catharine is an expert in algae nutrition, an entrepreneur, one of the foremost experts in algae research, and a board-certified health coach. Her journey into algae research began after her younger sister was diagnosed with breast cancer and she started searching for the best foods for her. She’s spent the last 13 years researching and teaching about algae.
Catharine is a walking testament to this and one thing that really stood out to me is that her biological age is less than half of her chronological age. She goes deep into how algae can improve brain health, and mitochondrial function, reduce aging, and so much more.
My kids and I have been taking algae supplements and I’ve definitely noticed an energy boost in the morning. It’s something the whole family can benefit from!
Episode Highlights With Catharine
- Algae is a food and not a supplement and was the first food on earth
- Macro algae vs micro algae
- Why algae is the most nutrient rich food in the world
- The reason you actually want farm grown algae and not wild grown algae
- Spirulina vs Chlorella
- Algae shows up when there are toxins or bacteria and works as a cleanup crew
- It also works as a clean up crew in the body
- Algae has individual aminos
- The reason we need algae more now than we have in the past
- How algae affects mitochondria in a positive way and reduces free radicals
- Why these are ok to eat during a fast and can actually improve outcomes
- How chewing these algae can help with bacteria in the mouth and support oral health
Resources We Mention
- EnergyBits – Use code wellnessmama for a discount
- Book: Brain Energy: A Revolutionary Breakthrough in Understanding Mental Health–and Improving Treatment for Anxiety, Depression, OCD, PTSD, and More by Christopher M. Palmer MD
More From Wellness Mama
- 145: Catharine Arnston on the Nutrient Superfood Value of Algae
- 441: Dr. Robert Lustig on the Lure & the Lies of Processed Food, Nutrition, & Modern Medicine
- 348: How to Minimize Your Exposure to Toxins & Effective Detox Protocols With Dr. Sandison From Neurohacker
- Chlorella Benefits & Uses (and When It Can Be Dangerous)
- Spirulina Benefits: 7 Reasons to Try It (& 1 Major Caution)