I’m talking with Dr. Amy B. Killen today about sexual health and how it ties in with our overall health and mortality. Dr. Amy is one of the leading longevity and regenerative physicians in the country, an international speaker, educator, and entrepreneur. She’s also the co-founder of the Human Optimization Project, or HOP.
Dr. Amy combines things like stem cell injections in her practice with photobiomodulation, shockwave therapy, peptides, and more. This unique approach (along with healthy diet and lifestyle changes) helps her patients have regenerative effects on their skin, hair, and even sexual function. While it may not seem like skin health and sexual health are connected, our sex health is a key indicator of how our overall health is doing.
In this episode we go deep into these connections, including a lot of the foundational and more advanced biohacking practices Dr. Amy uses with her patients. She also shares her take on the popular (and controversial) drug Ozempic, which peptide supplements she recommends and why, plus her top diet and lifestyle tips.
I hope you’ll join us and listen in!
Episode Highlights With Dr. Amy
- She didn’t play with Barbies as a kid but the funny thing she played with instead
- Why she switched from emergency medicine to the work she does now
- The connection between sexual health and longevity
- Correlation between people who are more sexually active and lower all cause mortality
- Some of the reasons for the decline in libido
- The importance of being able to activate the parasympathetic nervous system for overall and sexual health
- The misinformation about hormone testing and hormone replacement
- Universal things that contribute to longevity and health: exercise, lean muscle mass, sleep, healthy diet, sunshine
- Why she recommends sun and how she balances this with sun health
- In studies, those with the lowest sun exposure had the highest risk of death
- Her recommended supplements for longevity and slowing aging
- Her take on Ozempic
- What to know about peptides and when they can be useful
- Why sauna is one of her top biohacks
- Her take on cold water exposure
- Even more reasons to lift weights, especially as we get older
“It’s better to be brave than perfect.” Dr. Amy Killen
Resources We Mention
- Amy B. Killen – website
- HOP Box (use code wellnessmama for a discount!)
- Docere Clinic
- Book: Comfort Crisis by Michael Easter
More From Wellness Mama
- 485: Dr. Kanwal Bawa on Overcoming Cancer, Sexual Health and Biohacking
- 604: Dr. Michelle Sands on Myths and Truths About Hormone Replacement Therapy
- 654: Importance of Sexuality & Pleasure for Nervous System Health and Wellbeing With Foria
- 168: Dr. Maryann Prewitt on A Proactive Approach to Aging & Sexual Health
- Natural Ways to Improve Libido & Sex Drive in Women