I’m chatting with Dr. Nashat Latib today about the fertility crisis and what we can do about it. Dr. Nashat has over 20 years of clinical experience, starting as a board-certified emergency physician and later becoming one of the few functional medicine-certified physicians in the world specializing in regenerative medicine (especially fertility).
We go deep into the functional medicine side of fertility and the factors that go into fertility. Dr. Nashat explains how many couples are able to get pregnant naturally, even if they’ve been told they can’t or have had IVF or IUI. Her work in this space stems from her own health experiences with fertility and tragically losing her mom to illness.
Dr. Nashat takes a root cause approach that’s individualized to each couple but she also goes over a lot of things everyone who is trying to conceive can do. We talk about how things like stress, diet, PCOS, and other hormone issues play a role in fertility and what to do about it. She also discusses how both partner’s health plays a role in the fertility conversation and how they can work together for the best results.
I had a lot of fun talking to Dr. Nashat and I’m excited to jump in!
Episode Highlights With Dr. Nashat
- Her journey from an ER doc to a functional medicine fertility doc
- How cortisol interferes with hormone production and can be related to infertility
- Her own journey with IUI and IVF and why she would do it differently if she knew what she knew now
- Why male and female fertility both matter in the fertility equation
- What happens in the 90 days pre-conception directly influences egg and sperm health
- Why egg health is not static and can improve over time
- What AMH is and what it actually indicates
- Why sperm counts are expected to go to 0 in the next 40-50 years
- How detox comes into play with fertility protocols
- The liver is your laundromat and how to support it
- How basal body temperature relates to fertility and how to use this data to your advantage
Resources We Mention
- Nashat Latib – website
- 10 Steps to Optimal Health and Hormones
- Oura ring
- Book: Breaking the Habit of Being Yourself by Dr. Joe Dispenza