Today I’m back with a repeat guest and someone I always enjoy talking to, biomechanics expert Katy Bowman. Katy is an author, speaker, and leader of The Movement movement all to help change how people move and think about their need for movement.
She’s written 10 books about moving our bodies in a healthier way and her latest book is Rethink Your Position. Today’s topic is focused on the biomechanics of breast movement and other aspects of general movement. Katy discusses how to do movements that build strength and support in our chests and how hanging and pushups are key ways to test and build this strength.
We also talk about why so many of us (moms especially!) tend to have hunched or forward shoulders. And Katy gives tips on how we can combat this and strengthen the muscles we need for good posture. With so much of our lymphatic tissue in our breasts, supporting movement and strength in this area is so important for our overall health!
Whether you’re a mom with multiple kids, you’ve never had a baby, or you’re big or little chested, this episode is really helpful to know how to build that healthy movement. Please join me and listen in!
Episode Highlights With Katy
- Breast health through the lens of movement
- Understanding why breasts need to move and how to do that without injury
- The way you move moves your body in a particular way
- If you want breasts that are well supported, do movements that build strength in support
- Movements like pushups or hanging as a test of chest movement and strength
- How carrying babies and breastfeeding can lead to stiffness in the upper body
- Why to work up to being able to hang by holding onto a bar for one whole minute each day
- How to work better movement into the things you’re already doing
- Ways to counteract too much single-position input like looking at a phone
- How our core is affected by what is happening in the hips and the shoulders
- A tip for getting better movement and benefits even from walking
- We’re so much more fluent in the importance of food than the importance of movement
Resources We Mention
- Rethink Your Position: Reshape Your Exercise, Yoga, and Everyday Movement, One Part at a Time by Katy Bowman
- More books by Katy Bowman
- Hanging board on Amazon
- Book: Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret. by Judy Blume
More From Wellness Mama
- 482: Katy Bowman on Grow Wild – Optimal Movement for Children and Families
- 106: Katy Bowman on Why to Stop Doing Kegels & Squat Instead
- 521: Aaron Alexander on How to Create an Environment That Benefits Your Body
- 652: Built to Move: 10 Essential Habits to Help You Move Freely and Live Fully With Juliet and Kelly Starrett
- 640: Magdalena Wszelaki on Breast Issues, Hormones, and Finding Balance
- 436: Are Bras Making Us Sick? The Breast Disease Link With Sydney Singer
- 277: Diane Kazer on Healing Breast Implant Illness