I’m here today with Barton Scott, a biochemist, and founder of Upgraded Formulas. He’s also a nutritionist and researcher who helps people address the stress of daily life, sleep struggles, hormone issues, and fatigue. And he’s passionate about helping others address nutrient absorption issues.
Our talk today is all about nutrient balance, why most of us are mineral deficient, and how to know if you are. And most importantly what to do about it if you are. We also go over why we’re getting less than 50% of the minerals we need from our food. Even our water is mineral deficient.
One of the best ways to know what mineral deficiencies you have is through testing. But the typical blood tests won’t catch issues until decades after they’ve started. Barton discusses why hair testing is the most accurate option, but only if you know what to test for and how to read the results.
We also talk about which minerals most of us are low in and how to make sure we get them. This is a very fact packed episode and I’m sure you’ll learn a lot like I did!
Episode Highlights With Barton
- Why we are all facing a lack of nutrients in our food supply and why this is a new phenomenon
- This issue is important because we are getting 50% less minerals in food but can’t easily take in 2x calories to compensate so we have to figure out what to do
- How his Mom’s struggle with life threatening health issues led to his work in this area
- The body is always putting out warning signs and speaking to us in a way we might not understand
- How modern farming practices are causing a rapid depletion of minerals in our food supply and how if minerals are not present in the soil, they can’t be in the food (similar to a mother not being able to give nutrients she doesn’t have to her child in utero)
- Why blood tests aren’t necessarily accurate for minerals
- Blood tests are “you on your best behavior because we will pull from bone marrow or even organs to make sure blood is as ideal as possible
- Why abnormal results in blood tests can indicate that a person has had a deficiency for decades
- 8 out of 10 people are deficient in magnesium
- Why most women are also low on testosterone
- Minerals are the building blocks for hormones and neurotransmitters
- How absorbable minerals can help with things like making melatonin or serotonin naturally and how taking a very bioavailable one can help even if you have digestive issues or other things going on that make it hard to get them from food
- Magnesium activates over 3200 proteins and over 800 enzymatic pathways in the body
- Minerals are a “light switch” of sorts that open the circuit for the body to be able to use other things like vitamins
- How activity level impacts mineral need
- Risk factors for mineral deficiencies
- Why most people are also deficient in potassium and how potassium is connected to energy
- What sodium and lithium deficiencies cause
Resources We Mention
- Upgraded Formulas
- LMNT – salt and electrolytes
- The Surrender Experiment by Michael A. Singer
- Clean Gut: The Breakthrough Plan for Eliminating the Root Cause of Disease and Revolutionizing Your Health by Alejandro Junger
More From Wellness Mama
- 638: Dr. Chris Masterjohn on Understanding Key Nutrients: Biotin, Sodium, Potassium, and Omega-3s
- 256: Chris Masterjohn on Decoding What Your Body Really Needs
- 659: Silica, Salt, and Minerals for Collagen and Overall Health With Eidon Minerals
- 596: Morley Robbins on Magnesium, Stress, Mineral Balance and the Root Cause Protocol
- Are You Low on Magnesium?
- Top 10 Signs & Symptoms of Magnesium Deficiency
- 5 Reasons to Eat MORE Salt