Today I’m here with Ali Katz who helped me with some of my own financial planning, and more importantly, the financial planning side related to my kids and guardianship. There is a lot more that goes into this than I had realized. And she’s here today to talk about family financial planning and building generational wealth, which you can do at any income level.
In our conversation, we talk briefly about how she got her start in a law firm in California that was started by Charlie Munger and why she shifted away from that. And then we go deep on things like what happens if something happens to you, important steps to put in place, and figuring out guardianship and financial assets for your kids, what to know about life insurance, and who to name as beneficiary. She shares why we shouldn’t rely on social security for retirement and what to do instead, what generational wealth is and how to plan for it, her concept of financial liberation, and how to set your family up for success even if you aren’t wealthy. She is a tremendous wealth of information and she shares a lot of resources and information.
Episode Highlights With Ali Katz
- About the regenerative community she is helping build in Costa Rica
- How she got her start in a law firm in California started by Charlie Munger
- The important things to think about from legal and financial perspectives, especially when you have kids!
- Why it is so important to name guardians for your kids in case something happens and how to do it the right way
- Important steps to put in place when figuring out guardianship and financial assets for your kids
- What to know about life insurance and who to name as beneficiary (hint: not your kids)
- The importance of a revocable living trust for your kids
- Why not to rely on social security for retirement
- What generational wealth is and how to plan for it
- Her concept of Financial Liberation and how to set your family up for success (and you don’t need to be wealthy to do it)
- Why to stop the traditional quest for “financial freedom” as it is typically explained for retirement
- Separating wants from needs in financial planning
- The systems to put in place for your family to make sure they are taken care of
Resources We Mention
- Her book: Wear Clean Underwear
- The Little Soul and the Sun by Neale Donald Walsch
- Conversations with God by Neale Donald Walsch
- The Fifth Sacred Thing by Starhawk
More From Wellness Mama
- 428: Michael Stevens on Designing Long-Term Financial Wellness for Your Family
- 407: Working Toward Financial Independence and Time Freedom With Joe DiSanto
- 370: Creating a Profitable Business (& Why Now Is the Best Time!) With Ryan Moran
- 188: How to Take Control of Healthcare, Insurance, & Save Money
- How to Eat Healthy on a Budget – 22 Money Saving Tips
- 8 Income-Building Job Skills You Can Learn at Home
- Why We Are Creating a Business Incubator for Our Kids (And How)
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This episode is brought to you by Just Thrive Health, one of my top sources for supplements. I’ve seen first hand how incredible their products are and today I’m sharing the three I use most. The first is their spore-based probiotic. Unlike many probiotics, this one is shelf stable, doesn’t have to be refrigerated, and survives all the way through the digestive system so it gets exactly where it needs to go. Because they are heat stable, I can also add these to smoothies, soups and even baked goods for my younger kids and these are the only probiotics I’ve seen a noticeable difference from using. They also have a product called IGG that helps calm the immune system and that was very helpful to me personally when I was working on recovering from my autoimmune conditions. Lastly, their new Just Calm product has been great when I’m going through some stressful times lately. It contains a proprietary “psychobiotic” strain known as BL 1714™. Psychobiotics are a new class of products with beneficial bacteria that can support your mood, cognition, and emotional health. Check out these and all of their products at justthrivehealth.com/wellnessmama and use the code wellnessmama15 to save 15%.
This episode is brought to you by Wellnesse. That’s wellness with an e on the end, my line of non-toxic, family focused personal care products including haircare, oral care and deodorant. At my house, kids toothbrushes and kids strawberry toothpaste are the favorites. The toothbrushes come in a 3-pack of fun colors, which makes it easy for my kids to know which brush is theirs. The strawberry toothpaste tastes great so there aren’t any fights about tooth brushing, and I love that it’s formulated around hydroxyapatite, a naturally occurring mineral found in tooth enamel. All of our toothpastes use only EWG verified safe ingredients, are free of toxins, and are packed with ingredients that naturally support the oral microbiome for stronger, healthier, whiter teeth naturally. Check out these and all of our products at wellnesse.com.