I’m here today with my friend, Naveen Jain, who is an intensely curious entrepreneur who has been taking on some big, audacious ideas to push humanity forward. He’s the author of the award-winning book “Moonshots: Creating a World of Abundance,” and his current adventures are Moon Express, which is a space company, and Viome.
His current work is in Viome Life Sciences, which was founded in 2016 with a mission of making illness optional by predicting and preventing chronic disease through a deeper understanding of an individual’s biology at a molecular level. It is built on an AI-driven platform that analyzes the interaction between food, our microbiome, and our human selves to develop precision recommendations to prevent and reverse chronic disease.
In this episode, we talk about the human ecosystem and personalized optimization of your gut health and your overall health. We talk about the reason the gut affects the entire body, why it’s not just genetics from our parents but actually our ecosystem within our gut that controls our body. We also dive into how microbiome balance begins at birth, how 90% of serotonin is produced in the gut (not the brain), and how some foods can be good for some people and not others.
Episode Highlights With Naveen Jain
- Why he collects moon rocks
- The reason the health of the gut affects the health of the whole body
- Why the body is not just genetics from our parents but actually an ecosystem of genes that are not our own but microbial
- 70% of the immune system is in the gut
- How microbiome balance begins at birth or even before
- 90% of serotonin is produced in the gut and not in the brain
- What makes up the ecosystem in the gut… it’s more than just bacteria
- The difference between DNA and gene expression
- How some foods can be good for some and not for others and how to know what is best for you
- The universally harmful foods, but why there aren’t any universally good ones
- How we can now measure biological age based on gut health
- Why he doesn’t recommend harsh products that kill bacteria in the mouth
- The real reason it is important to chew your food really well before swallowing it
- Why food doesn’t get digested properly when you are stressed
- His parting advice: Dream so big that people think you are crazy
Resources We Mention
- Wellnesse Toothpaste
- Wellnesse Oral Care
- 340: My Son Talks Entrepreneurship, Homeschooling, Sustainability, and His Cookbook Chef Junior
- How Will You Measure Your Life by Clayton M. Christensen
- Moonshots: Creating a World of Abundance by Naveen Jain
More From Wellness Mama
- 327: Optimizing Gut Health to Keep the Immune System Strong With Tina Anderson
- 205: Everything You Need to Know About GMOs, Glyphosate, and Gut Health With Dr. Zach Bush
- 318: Fecal Microbiota Transfer (FMT) for Gut Health and Autism
- What Our Poop Reveals About Digestive & Gut Health
- Gut and Psychology Syndrome Book Review
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This episode is brought to you by LMNT. LMNT contains a science-backed electrolyte ratio: 1000 mg sodium, 200mg potassium, 60 mg magnesium. With none of the junk. No sugar. No coloring. No artificial ingredients. No gluten. No fillers. It turns out that a lot of us aren’t getting enough salt and LMNT is my solution. Athletes, any of us who use sauna, people who follow a low carb or paleo type diet, and moms (especially during breastfeeding) have an increased electrolyte need and electrolyte deficiency can cause headaches, cramps, fatigue, and weakness. LMNT was co-founded by my good friend Robb Wolf when he was looking to increase his athletic performance, and it now has thousands of avid fans including Olympic athletes, pro athletes, special forces teams and moms and families around the world. I drink LMNT almost everyday to support my workouts and hydration levels and my favorite flavor is definitely watermelon. As a member of our community, LMNT has a very special offer for you. Claim your free LMNT Sample Pack – you only cover the cost of shipping. Get yours here: DrinkLMNT.com/WellnessMama.
This episode is sponsored by Dr. Stephen Cabral, a past podcast guest who I really respect! Have you ever considered becoming a health coach or practitioner? Dr. Cabral has an integrative health practitioner certification program that discusses many forms of natural healing and after learning these elements you will be able to decide which healing modality to use at what time with which person. It has 7 Integrated Disciplines including Ayurvedic Medicine (which is the Science of Life), Bioregulatory Medicine, Traditional Chinese Medicine & Herbalism, Eastern Philosophy, Traditional Orthomolecular Medicine as well as Functional Medicine. It’s extremely intensive. In Level 1 you do a deep dive into Dr. Cabral’s DESTRESS Protocol (Diet, Exercise, Stress Reduction, Toxin Removal, Rest, Emotions, Supplements, Success Mindset). In Level 2 you will review how to analyze functional medicine labs in detail in addition to recommending corresponding protocols. You do not have to be currently practicing in the health or fitness field to become a certified Integrative Health Practitioner. In fact, over 50% of IHPs have no previous health field experience. Inside the course Dr. Cabral provides you 50 client handouts, teaches you his exact protocols, and lays out the Personal Wellness Plans he uses in his own practice. Becoming an Integrative Health Practitioner will be the catalyst to heal yourself and heal others! Save $100 off IHP Level 1 Certification, $250 off IHP Level 2 Certification at StephenCabral.com/wellnessmama.