I’m here today with my friend, Naveen Jain, who is an intensely curious entrepreneur who has been taking on some big, audacious ideas to push humanity forward. He’s the author of the award-winning book “Moonshots: Creating a World of Abundance,” and his current adventures are Moon Express, which is a space company, and Viome.
His current work is in Viome Life Sciences, which was founded in 2016 with a mission of making illness optional by predicting and preventing chronic disease through a deeper understanding of an individual’s biology at a molecular level. It is built on an AI-driven platform that analyzes the interaction between food, our microbiome, and our human selves to develop precision recommendations to prevent and reverse chronic disease.
In this episode, we talk about the human ecosystem and personalized optimization of your gut health and your overall health. We talk about the reason the gut affects the entire body, why it’s not just genetics from our parents but actually our ecosystem within our gut that controls our body. We also dive into how microbiome balance begins at birth, how 90% of serotonin is produced in the gut (not the brain), and how some foods can be good for some people and not others.
Episode Highlights With Naveen Jain
- Why he collects moon rocks
- The reason the health of the gut affects the health of the whole body
- Why the body is not just genetics from our parents but actually an ecosystem of genes that are not our own but microbial
- 70% of the immune system is in the gut
- How microbiome balance begins at birth or even before
- 90% of serotonin is produced in the gut and not in the brain
- What makes up the ecosystem in the gut… it’s more than just bacteria
- The difference between DNA and gene expression
- How some foods can be good for some and not for others and how to know what is best for you
- The universally harmful foods, but why there aren’t any universally good ones
- How we can now measure biological age based on gut health
- Why he doesn’t recommend harsh products that kill bacteria in the mouth
- The real reason it is important to chew your food really well before swallowing it
- Why food doesn’t get digested properly when you are stressed
- His parting advice: Dream so big that people think you are crazy
Resources We Mention
- Wellnesse Toothpaste
- Wellnesse Oral Care
- 340: My Son Talks Entrepreneurship, Homeschooling, Sustainability, and His Cookbook Chef Junior
- How Will You Measure Your Life by Clayton M. Christensen
- Moonshots: Creating a World of Abundance by Naveen Jain
More From Wellness Mama
- 327: Optimizing Gut Health to Keep the Immune System Strong With Tina Anderson
- 205: Everything You Need to Know About GMOs, Glyphosate, and Gut Health With Dr. Zach Bush
- 318: Fecal Microbiota Transfer (FMT) for Gut Health and Autism
- What Our Poop Reveals About Digestive & Gut Health
- Gut and Psychology Syndrome Book Review
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.