If you don’t know what FMT is, you’re not alone! This is a new and cutting-edge treatment, and one that might make you a little squeamish. Dr. Jason Klop, who has been working in the field of digestive health and microbiome restoration for many years, is here to talk about his extensive experience with FMT or Fecal Microbiota Transfer.
As the name suggests, fecal matter is actually transferred from one gut microbiome to another, offering the hope of introducing new and necessary good bacteria that couldn’t flourish there before.
This treatment has the potential to help with many gut-related conditions that aren’t easily helped any other way, including IBS, Crohns, and even autism.
Episode Highlights on FMT
- The many conditions that stem from gut imbalance
- How Fecal Microbiota Transfer works
- The differences between FMT and taking a probiotic
- My husband’s experience with C. difficile and SIBO
- Side effects of antibiotics on gut microflora
- Why a varied diet is so important to gut health
- The benefits of fasting and why FMT procedures start with a fast
- Why travel, time in nature, gardening, and exploration can all improve our gut microbiome
- What studies show about the effect of Fecal Microbiota Transfer for autistic patients
- Why doing FMT yourself at home is a bad idea (yes, it’s apparently a thing!)
- And more!
Resources We Mention
Note for our listeners: This treatment is not available to Canadians at this time.
More From Wellness Mama
- 475: Jeffrey Smith on the Existential Threat of Gene-Edited Microbes
- 258: Beating SIBO, IBS, and Histamine Intolerance With A Gutsy Girl Sarah Kay Hoffman
- 82: Discovering the SIBO Solution with Sylvie McCracken
- 219: Why Everything We Know About Probiotics Is Wrong & How to Stop Leaky Gut With Microbiologist Kiran Krishnan
- 96: Using Natural and Traditional Medicine to Fix the Gut Microbiome with Dr. Ken Brown
- 51: Understanding the Microbiome
- How to Test Your Gut Microbiome (At Home Without a Doctor)
- What Our Poop Reveals About Digestive & Gut Health
- Why Kids Need Dirt
- Transferring Microbes to Cesarean Babies for Gut Health
Have you ever explored FMT? What else would you like Dr. Klop to answer? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is sponsored by BLUblox. They create stylish and effective blue light blocking glasses for any time of day. Their BluLite lens is a clear lens designed for people who work under artificial light during the day, but they don’t want to look like they are wearing orange glasses. This one is designed to target the light that created digital eyestrain, migraines, headaches and more. Their SummerGlo lens steps it up a notch for those who are exposed to intense artificial light all day and who suffer from migraines, anxiety, depression and SAD by blocking the light that contributes to those conditions. For better sleep, their Sleep lens is a complete blue and green light blocking full red lens that is ideal for use after dark. When the sun goes down, the red glasses go on. The studies show that by blocking blue light, you can increase your melatonin production and improve sleep. And lastly, if you can’t create a perfectly dark sleep environment, their REMedy blackout sleep mask is the next best thing, blocking 100% of light while staying comfortable and is easy to sleep in! Code wellnessmama gives 15% off at blublox.com/wellnessmama
This podcast is brought to you by Wellnesse, a new company I co-founded to tackle the toughest personal care products and create natural and safe products that work as well as conventional alternatives. I realized that even the most natural of my friends still used conventional toothpaste and shampoo because they weren’t willing to sacrifice quality. There are natural options and ones that work, but find products that do both was almost impossible. We tackled the toughest first, creating the first and only natural toothpaste that is fluoride and glycerin free, and that has calcium and hydroxyapatite to uniquely support the mineral balance in the mouth. It also contains neem oil and green tea to support a healthy bacterial balance in the mouth and fight bad breath. Be the first to try it and our innovative natural hair care at wellnesse.com