I am here today with Dr. Debi Silber about how to stop sabotaging yourself and healing from betrayal. She’s done a lot of work on how unhealed betrayal impacts our health, our work, and our relationships. She had two painful betrayals by her family and then by her husband. And at age 50 with four kids and six dogs, she enrolled in a Ph.D. program in transpersonal psychology and did a study on betrayal and what holds us back.
We go deep on that today talking about the different types of betrayal, the physical and emotional impact they have, the three groundbreaking discoveries she made while studying this, what post-traumatic stress is versus post-traumatic growth and her system for moving into healing after experiencing a betrayal. She shares a lot of interesting and fascinating information in this conversation and I hope it will be helpful for those who have experienced this.
Episode Highlights With Dr. Debi Silber
- How an unhealed betrayal plays out in all areas of life
- The physical and emotional impact of these types of betrayal
- Different types of betrayal – they aren’t all the ones you’d think
- The three groundbreaking discoveries she made while studying betrayal
- Post traumatic stress vs. post traumatic growth
- The surprising symptoms associated with betrayal… now called post betrayal syndrome
- Why time doesn’t necessarily heal all wounds when it comes to betrayal
- The three things that prevent healing: refusing to give up the story, numbing/avoiding/distracting, no consequences for the betrayer
- Five stages of healing and why many people often get stuck in stage three
- How to know when healing is possible with someone post betrayal and where it starts (plus words to look for that might mean the other person isn’t willing to rebuild trust)
- Examples of boundaries and trust and how to build them
- Four questions to know if you are numbing, avoiding or distracting
- Her mantra for all aspects of life
Resources We Mention
- The PBT Institute
- Are You Healed…. or Hardened? Quiz
- Ted Talk – Stop Sabotaging Yourself
- Ted Talk – Do You Have Post Betrayal Syndrome?
- Conversations with God: An Uncommon Dialogue, Book 1 by Neale Donald Walsch
More From Wellness Mama
- 309: How I Overcame Trauma (and Lost 50 Pounds)
- 415: Reversing Limiting Beliefs Such As “I Am Not Enough” With Marisa Peer
- 382: World Renowned Mindset Expert on High Performance and Setting Our Kids Up for Success With Elliot Roe
- 339: Healing Trauma, Releasing Shame, Finding Joy & Becoming a Super Attractor With Gabrielle Bernstein
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.