I am here today with Dr. Debi Silber about how to stop sabotaging yourself and healing from betrayal. She’s done a lot of work on how unhealed betrayal impacts our health, our work, and our relationships. She had two painful betrayals by her family and then by her husband. And at age 50 with four kids and six dogs, she enrolled in a Ph.D. program in transpersonal psychology and did a study on betrayal and what holds us back.
We go deep on that today talking about the different types of betrayal, the physical and emotional impact they have, the three groundbreaking discoveries she made while studying this, what post-traumatic stress is versus post-traumatic growth and her system for moving into healing after experiencing a betrayal. She shares a lot of interesting and fascinating information in this conversation and I hope it will be helpful for those who have experienced this.
Episode Highlights With Dr. Debi Silber
- How an unhealed betrayal plays out in all areas of life
- The physical and emotional impact of these types of betrayal
- Different types of betrayal – they aren’t all the ones you’d think
- The three groundbreaking discoveries she made while studying betrayal
- Post traumatic stress vs. post traumatic growth
- The surprising symptoms associated with betrayal… now called post betrayal syndrome
- Why time doesn’t necessarily heal all wounds when it comes to betrayal
- The three things that prevent healing: refusing to give up the story, numbing/avoiding/distracting, no consequences for the betrayer
- Five stages of healing and why many people often get stuck in stage three
- How to know when healing is possible with someone post betrayal and where it starts (plus words to look for that might mean the other person isn’t willing to rebuild trust)
- Examples of boundaries and trust and how to build them
- Four questions to know if you are numbing, avoiding or distracting
- Her mantra for all aspects of life
Resources We Mention
- The PBT Institute
- Are You Healed…. or Hardened? Quiz
- Ted Talk – Stop Sabotaging Yourself
- Ted Talk – Do You Have Post Betrayal Syndrome?
- Conversations with God: An Uncommon Dialogue, Book 1 by Neale Donald Walsch
More From Wellness Mama
- 309: How I Overcame Trauma (and Lost 50 Pounds)
- 415: Reversing Limiting Beliefs Such As “I Am Not Enough” With Marisa Peer
- 382: World Renowned Mindset Expert on High Performance and Setting Our Kids Up for Success With Elliot Roe
- 339: Healing Trauma, Releasing Shame, Finding Joy & Becoming a Super Attractor With Gabrielle Bernstein
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is sponsored by Hiya Health… a new type of childrens vitamins. Typical children’s vitamins are basically candy in disguise — filled with two teaspoons of sugar, unhealthy chemicals, and other gummy junk growing kids should never eat. Hiya is made with zero sugar and zero gummy junk, yet it tastes great and is perfect for picky eaters. Hiya fills in the most common gaps in modern children’s diets to provide the full-body nourishment our kids need with a yummy taste they love. Manufactured in the USA with globally sourced ingredients each selected for optimal bioavailability and absorption. Hiya arrives straight to your door on a pediatrician-recommended schedule. Your first month comes with a reusable glass bottle your kids can personalize with stickers, then every month thereafter Hiya sends a no-plastic refill pouch of fresh vitamins — which means Hiya isn’t just good for your kids, it’s also good for the environment. To check them out, go to hiyahealth.com/wellnessmama and save on your first month at this link!
This episode is brought to you by Paleovalley – a company that is near and dear to my heart. I really like all of their products and my family especially loves their 100% grass fed beef sticks, which are a clean, gut-friendly protein snack option. They never last long in my house because my kids enjoy them so much, and I love how seriously Paleovalley takes creating healthy and environmentally friendly products. Paleovalley Grass fed beef sticks are the real deal. They are sourced from 100% grass fed and finished cows that are never fed grains or harmful antibiotics. And they come from small, family owned farms right here in the USA that practice rotational grazing, meaning farmers literally rotate the pastures in which their cows graze. So they aren’t feeding on the same soil forever, depleting its nutrients. This means the cows are helping increase the nutrient density in the soil and put carbon back in the soil where it belongs. Another important difference- Virtually every other meat snack on the market is made with a processing agent called encapsulated citric acid (ECA). Companies use this in order to guarantee a long shelf life for their products but one study from The University of Illinois at Chicago found ECA can cause: Joint discomfort caused by stiffness and swelling, muscle aches, upset stomach, and shortness of breath! Instead, Paleovalley Beef sticks use old world methods of fermentation, which gives the beef sticks a long shelf life without the use of harmful acids and chemicals. They’re also free of Brominated Vegetable Oil, hormones, and MSG and the natural fermentation process means they are a good source of probiotics. Check out the amazing beef sticks and all of their products at paleovalley.com/mama and use code mama15 at checkout for 15% off your order!