I’m here with Matt Titlow today, who has a lot of experience in the supplements industry and shares all of his knowledge and experience. He’s a 17-year veteran of the nutritional supplement industry and he really goes deep on the process of what happens before supplements ever get to you, how to understand the labeling on supplements and what regulation actually looks like.
He also touches on why he’s not a fan of gummies as vitamins, what to know about dosing and what’s actually in your supplements, the research surrounding Vitamin D, more reasons to be a fan of magnesium (which I have been a fan now for years) and also not to forget about potassium. He talks about his personal 80/20 for health. We cover a lot of ground in this one!
Episode Highlights With Matt Titlow
- The long process that happens before supplements ever get to you and how to know what’s actually in them
- What labelling on supplements actually means and what regulation looks like
- Why he isn’t a fan of gummies for vitamins
- How to know the dosing on what is actually in your supplements
- His take on Vitamin D
- More reasons to be a fan of magnesium (and not forget about potassium)
- What postbiotics are (like butyrate) and how they work in the gut
- The biggest areas to optimize for better energy
- Hydration, sleep, and supplement tips
- His personal 80/20 for health
- Why he also gets morning sunlight daily
Resources We Mention
- Life Extension Foundation
- The Psychobiotic Revolution: Mood, Food, and the New Science of the Gut-Brain Connection by Scott Anderson
- Finding the Mother Tree: Discovering the Wisdom of the Forest by Suzanne Simard
More From Wellness Mama
- 387: Ask Katie Anything: Protein, Supplements, Sleep, Parenting, and Shoes
- 327: Optimizing Gut Health to Keep the Immune System Strong With Tina Anderson
- 539: Tina Anderson on Psychobiotics, Gut Brain Connection and Just Calm
- Are You Low on Magnesium?
- What Are Postbiotics (& Why We Need Them)
- The Harmful Effects of Sugar
- Are You Getting Enough Vitamin D?
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This episode is sponsored by JuneShine – a better-for-you alcohol made with only real, organic ingredients and unlike other alcoholic beverages, they are transparent about every ingredient they put in their products. I love how light and refreshing it tastes without the bloat of other alcohols like beer. It’s naturally fizzy and fermented, and I’ve found that even friends who aren’t big Kombucha fans love the flavor and fizz of JuneShine. Each can is only 3 grams of sugar, low-carb, full of probiotics AND they come in creative and delicious flavor combos like their new Prickly Pear Margarita, which is delicious and enjoyable. Best of all, it doesn’t leave you with that I’m-too-full-after-drinking feeling and gives you a lighter, brighter buzz. JuneShine is sustainably produced, they are 100% carbon neutral, they donate 1% of all sales to environmental nonprofits, their Brewery is powered by 100% renewable solar and they plant trees for all those used to make their 6-pack boxes. I get this stuff delivered straight to my doorstep now that JuneShine has nationwide shipping. We’ve worked out a special offer for our listeners. Receive 20% off plus Free Shipping site wide. I recommend trying one of their best selling variety packs, it’s a great way to try all of their delicious flavors. Go to juneshine.com/wellnessmama or use code WELLNESSMAMA at checkout to claim this deal. JuneShine can also be found in over 10,000 stores across the country, including Whole Foods, Safeway, Kroger and Publix.
This episode is brought to you by Paleovalley – a company that is near and dear to my heart. I really like all of their products and my family especially loves their 100% grass fed beef sticks, which are a clean, gut-friendly protein snack option. They never last long in my house because my kids enjoy them so much, and I love how seriously Paleovalley takes creating healthy and environmentally friendly products. Paleovalley Grass fed beef sticks are the real deal. They are sourced from 100% grass fed and finished cows that are never fed grains or harmful antibiotics. And they come from small, family owned farms right here in the USA that practice rotational grazing, meaning farmers literally rotate the pastures in which their cows graze. So they aren’t feeding on the same soil forever, depleting its nutrients. This means the cows are helping increase the nutrient density in the soil and put carbon back in the soil where it belongs. Another important difference- Virtually every other meat snack on the market is made with a processing agent called encapsulated citric acid (ECA). Companies use this in order to guarantee a long shelf life for their products but one study from The University of Illinois at Chicago found ECA can cause: Joint discomfort caused by stiffness and swelling, muscle aches, upset stomach, and shortness of breath! Instead, Paleovalley Beef sticks use old world methods of fermentation, which gives the beef sticks a long shelf life without the use of harmful acids and chemicals. They’re also free of Brominated Vegetable Oil, hormones, and MSG and the natural fermentation process means they are a good source of probiotics. Check out the amazing beef sticks and all of their products at paleovalley.com/mama and use code mama15 at checkout for 15% off your order!