Today’s episode is a fun one and is all about the connection between gut health and our hormones and what we can all learn from our poop. Yes, your poop! I’m here with Sarah Greenfield, who is a functional dietitian and founder of the “Fearless Fig”.
We spend some time going deep on the gut-hormone connection and why it’s so important, the gut markers that give insight into hormones, how cortisol comes into play, the blood-sugar connection and how undereating can cause hormone issues for many women. We also touch on the importance of magnesium for your hormones, what Sarah and I agree on when it comes to to supplements and how to optimize sleep (and why it’s so important!). Sarah is a wealth of knowledge in so many different areas and I know you’ll enjoy the conversation!
Episode Highlights With Sarah Greenfield
- What the gut hormone connection is and why it is so important
- How gut bacteria balance directly affects hormones
- The gut markers that give insight into hormones like estrogen
- What she looks at to see if hormone imbalance is an issue
- How cortisol comes into play with hormone imbalance
- The blood sugar connection to other hormones
- How undereating causes hormone issues and how to reverse it without gaining weight
- What your poop can tell you about your health
- The importance of magnesium for hormones and how to optimize it
- Easy ways to get enough magnesium in your diet
- The supplements she recommends
- What to do if estrogen is high
- How to clear excess estrogen in the body
- The benefits of removing wheat, dairy, corn and soy during gut repair
- What to know about cholesterol (it isn’t what you think)
- A reason to avoid sugar but consume carbs
- Ways to optimize sleep in relation to hormones
- How to pay attention to blue light exposure
- The anxiety connection to the gut
- Why it isn’t ever about willpower and why it isn’t laziness that leads to these issues
Resources We Mention
- Fearless Fig website
- Fearless Fig – Instagram
- Poop guide
- BluBlox Blue Light glasses
- The Omnivore’s Dilemma by Michael Pollan
More From Wellness Mama
- 371: How Eating More Protein Will Transform Your Metabolism With Dr. Gabrielle Lyon
- 265: With Hormones, Normal Isn’t Always Normal With Dr. Shawn Tassone
- 10 Tips to Help Balance Hormones Naturally
- Tips to Naturally Reduce Stress… Starting Now!
- Why I Wear Blue Light Blocking Glasses (at Night)
- The Benefits of Cholesterol
- Why You Should Never Eat Vegetable Oil or Margarine
- The Harmful Effects of Sugar
- How to Do a Sugar Detox (& Why Everyone Should)
- 8 Ways to Stop Sugar Cravings
- Instant Pot Pressure Cooker: Review + Recipes
What did you think of this episode and the conversation with Sarah? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This episode is brought to you by Olipop, a new kind of soda that has become a fast favorite at my house. The idea of soda is usually associated with drinks that are full of sugar, corn syrup, and artificial ingredients like aspartame. But Olipop is so different! They use functional ingredients that combine the benefits of prebiotics, plant fiber and botanicals to support your microbiome and benefit digestive health, plus you get all the taste without the sugar or nasty added ingredients. Their Orange Squeeze has 5g of sugar compared to Orange Fanta which has 44g of sugar. 90% of Americans consume more than the USDA’s daily recommended added sugar intake (30g). Sweetened beverages (like soda) are the leading source of added sugars in the American diet. All of their products are Non-GMO, Vegan, Paleo and Keto-friendly with less than 8g net carbs per can. We’ve worked out a special deal for Wellness Mama listeners. Receive 15% off your purchase. I recommend trying their variety pack. This is a great way to try all of their delicious flavors. Go to drinkolipop.com/WELLNESSMAMA or use code WELLNESSMAMA at checkout to claim this deal. OLIPOP can also be found in over 5,000 stores across the country, including Kroger, Whole Foods, Sprouts, and Wegmans.
This podcast is brought to you by Paleovalley Bone Broth Protein Powder. Their 100% Grass Fed Bone Broth Protein is a unique collagen-rich protein powder made from old fashioned bone broth. They make 100% Grass Fed Bone Broth Protein the same way you would: by slow simmering 100% grass fed beef bones to make a nutrient-dense, collagen-rich broth. We then gently dry the broth to form an odorless, flavorless powder that dissolves easily. It makes eating bone broth simple and convenient. Bone broth has been hailed as a healing superfood for centuries, and modern science can finally explain why humble broth is so powerful. What makes bone broth so amazing is it’s collagen content. Collagen is the most abundant protein molecule in your body, found in significant amounts in your skin, muscles, bones, blood vessels, tendons, joints, and your digestive system. Age slows down the body’s natural production collagen, but research suggests that consuming supplemental collagen – such as in bone broth – can actually stimulate the body to make more of its own collagen. Studies show that this can benefit hair, skin, heart health, joints, bone density and so much more! Grab it at paleovalley.com/mama and use Mama15 for 15% off!