This podcast was so much fun to record! I’m here with Laila Ali, my personal friend and a former four-time world boxing champion. She’s also a cookbook author, a health and wellness advocate, a TV personality, and most importantly, a mom to her two children!
You may know Laila as the daughter of the late, beloved global icon Muhammad Ali. She herself is an undefeated, four-time boxing world champion whose record includes 24 wins and 0 losses. She is heralded as the most successful female in the history of women’s boxing. Today she talks about her mindset related to her boxing success and how that transferred into other areas of her life.
Parts of her story really surprise me, especially the age she started boxing and her father’s opinion about it. Recently Laila transitioned into the health and wellness world, appearing on the TV show “Chopped” and starting her own health and wellness brand and spice company. We go really deep in our conversation on mindset and parenting. Laila and I have a lot in common in how we raise our children and also in our health journeys.
It was such a pleasure to chat with her, and it’s a pleasure to share this conversation with you!
Episode Highlights With Laila Ali
- Her journey to becoming a boxing world champion (it isn’t what you think)
- How she defied her dad to start boxing
- The mindset shift she discovered and how it helped her continue despite other people’s opinions
- What lessons she learned in childhood and how those lessons shaped her
- Her parenting style
- One of the toughest things she has ever done (and it’s not boxing!)
- How she pivoted from boxing to cooking to health and wellness
- How she encourages others to take baby steps to increase their health and wellness
- The wellness philosophy she believes in
- Her journey of healing and how she discovered health and wellness
- How she created spice blends and the story behind each one
- Her secrets to a balanced life
- What she does to manage her stress
- The key to her confidence and how she teaches her daughter to be more confident
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Laila Ali Lifestyle
- Laila Ali Spice Blends
- Reach! Finding Strength, Spirit and Personal Power by Laila Ali
- Food for Life: Delicious & Healthy Comfort Food from My Table to Yours! by Laila Ali
- Body Intelligence by Dr. Romeo Brooks
More From Wellness Mama
- 267: Solving Joint Pain & Why Sports Aren’t Good for Kids With Hunter Fitness
- 106: Why to Stop Doing Kegels & Squat Instead with Katy Bowman
- 448: Mike Bayer on Creating a Strong Mindset in Ourselves and Our Kids
- 415: Reversing Limiting Beliefs Such As “I Am Not Enough” With Marisa Peer
- 391: Using Detailed Health Journaling and Mindset Shifts to Heal With Sarah Kay Hoffman
- 315: Mindfulness for Moms With Ziva Meditation’s Emily Fletcher
- 405: Eat Smarter: How to Use Food to Reboot Your Metabolism With Shawn Stevenson
- 8 Ways to Make Fitness a Habit
- 19 Journal Prompts to Build a Healthy Mindset
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This episode is brought to you by Hiya Children’s Vitamins. Did you know that typical children’s vitamins are basically candy in disguise, filled with two teaspoons of sugar, a lot of unhealthy chemicals, and some gummy junk that kids should never eat? Hiya is made with zero sugar, and zero gummy junk. Yet it tastes great and is perfect for picky eaters. Hiya fills the most common gaps in modern children’s diets to provide the full-body nourishment that kids need, with a yummy taste that they will love. It’s manufactured in the U.S.A. with globally sourced ingredients, each selected for optimal bioavailability and absorption.
Hiya arrives straight to your door on the pediatrician recommended schedule. Your first month comes with a reusable glass bottle, so your kids can personalize it with stickers and then, every month, you just transfer. There are no plastic refill pouch of fresh vitamins, which means Hiya isn’t just good for your kids, it’s also great for the environment. Learn more by going to hiyahealth.com/wellnessmama, and use the code, wellnessmama to save 50% on your order.
This episode is brought to you by Organifi. They make delicious superfood drinks, they’re beyond easy to incorporate into your routine. Let me tell you about my two personal favorites. Their green juice contains a clinical dose of ashwagandha, which supports healthy cortisol levels to aid in weight management. It also contains 11 superfoods for resetting the body and takes just 30 seconds with no chopping, shopping, or juicing, or blending. It’s organic, it tastes delicious, and no blender needed. You just add water and drink it up, and let your body soak up the benefits.
I also love their Gold drink at night, it’s like a turmeric tea, they even have a chocolate version, that contains nine superfoods for rest and relaxation. It tastes delicious in warm weather and can be mixed in milk, water, or milk alternatives. It’s low sugar, so you can enjoy this dessert-like tea guilt-free and wake up refreshed without drowsiness. My kids love the chocolate one. You can check out these and all of their products, including protein powder and red antioxidant drink by going to organifi.com/wellnessmama, and using the code wellnessmama to save 20% on your order.