I’m here with Cynthia Thurlow, who is the CEO and founder of the Everyday Wellness Project. She’s also a nurse practitioner and a globally recognized expert when it comes to intermittent fasting and nutritional health. In fact, she has a TED talk on intermittent fasting that has been watched over 8 million times!
We go really, really specific on the differences between fasting for men and women, how to fast without stressing out your body, and some really important reasons to stop snacking. If you fast or practice time-restricted eating (or are considering it), this is the episode for you!
Episode Highlights With Cynthia Thurlow
- The reason for the differences in fasting between men and women
- How to navigate fasting as a woman during fertile years
- The time of the month that it is better not to do much intensive fasting
- A reason to stop snacking
- The importance of hydration and electrolytes with any type of fasting
- How snacking keeps insulin elevated and makes weight loss difficult
- The reason our body (liver especially) needs a break from food between meals
- What the mitigating motor complex is and why it’s important
- Why not to over-exercise and what we get wrong about this
- The importance of electrolyte balance, especially during fasting
- How fasting changes after menopause
- Her tips for mitigating stress and staying in parasympathetic mode
- And more!
Resource We Mention
- Cynthia Thurlow
- Everyday Wellness Podcast
- TEDx Talks by Cynthia Thurlow
- The Unhealthy Truth by Robyn O’Brien
- Salt Sugar Fat by Michael Moss
- Metabolical by Robert Lustig
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is sponsored by Joovv red light therapy. I’ve been a fan of red light therapy since researching it years ago, and have been really grateful for my red light devices the last couple of years as I get older and want to be proactive about keeping my skin looking young! With stress and travel, I felt my skin getting less smooth and elastic than it used to be, so I upped my red light use to help my skin feel its best! I also notice the benefits for recovery and sleep as I’ve gotten into more intense workouts. Light is such a vital part of the cellular energy equation in the body and red light therapy is an easy way to get this vital piece. Since many of us spend so much time indoors, we often don’t get enough light. Spending some time outdoors each morning and using red light at night are my go-to’s for making sure my body’s light exposure is optimized. Learn more and see the light I use at joovv.com/wellnessmama. And they’ve built in an exclusive Wellness Mama discount at above link!
This episode is sponsored by Wellnesse, that’s Wellness with an “e” on the end, my all-natural personal care line. Our whitening toothpaste is a mineralizing blend of natural ingredients that supports oral health naturally. It’s based on the original recipe I developed over a decade ago, and has been through almost a hundred iterations to create the best natural toothpaste available. Many types of toothpaste contain ingredients you might find in paint and that you certainly don’t want in your mouth, but ours is enamel friendly and oral biome friendly to keep your teeth and gums happy all day long! Check out the whitening toothpaste and all of our products, including our natural “hair food” haircare at Wellnesse.com.