This episode is all about getting your hormones into balance, a topic that’s so important to us as moms. I’m here with Aviva Romm, a world-renowned midwife and herbalist who also happens to be a Yale-trained MD and a board-certified family physician. Her specialties are integrative gynecology, obstetrics, and pediatrics. Aviva has an incredible new book out called Hormone Intelligence. It explores the impact of the modern world on our hormones and our health. And there’s a lot to talk about!
We go deep into the reasons we’re seeing such drastic hormone-related changes in every age group (including in our pre-teens with early onset puberty), why so many many women experience infertility, and guidance from the fertile years into and beyond menopause.
(p.s. Don’t miss the free bonus from Aviva below in the Resources section!)
Episode Highlights With Aviva Romm
- The reason we are seeing a drastic increase in hormone-related problems right now
- Why this is increasing even more rapidly
- How electronics impact hormones
- The surprising change in puberty timeline in our daughters
- Why height growth slows and stops within a couple of years of a first period
- What to do to address early puberty
- The sleep and hormone connection
- PCOS- why it’s on the rise
- The microbiome and hormone connection
- Why the menstrual cycle is our sixth vital sign and why this is so important
- Why we are more likely to go on a spending spree in the few days before our periods
- Fascinating information we can learn from our periods
- The one factor that is reducing libido in this generation more than any previous generation
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Aviva Romm
- Hormone Intelligence: The Complete Guide to Calming Hormone Chaos and Restoring Your Body’s Natural Blueprint for Well-Being by Aviva Romm (Plus Free Bonus!)
- Other books by Aviva Romm
- Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol Dweck
- Spiritual Midwifery by Ina May Gaskin
- Article: Has COVID-19 Caused a Wave of Pandemic Period Problems? by Aviva Romm
More From Wellness Mama
- 443: How Plastic Chemicals Are Changing Your Family’s Health & Hormones and What to Do About It With Dr. Mantravadi
- 444: The Rain Barrel Effect, Inflammation, Fasting & Hormones With Dr. Stephen Cabral
- 308: How to Use Your Hormones to Your Advantage With FloLiving
- 196: How the Modern World Is Changing Our Hormones (& How to Create a Balance Plan)
- 108: Why the Birth Control Pill Screws Up Hormones & What to Use Instead
- 90: A Mind Of Your Own: Tackling Mental Illness and Fixing Hormones with Dr. Kelly Brogan
- 10 Tips to Help Balance Hormones Naturally
- How I Reduced My Cortisol Levels Naturally With Food & Light
- Natural Ways to Get Better Sleep (Even If You’re a Mom!)
- Are There Natural Solutions for Precocious (Early) Puberty?
Do you struggle with hormone balance? What has helped you? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is brought to you by Joovv Red light therapy. Red light therapy, also known as photobiomodulation, is gaining popularity and with good reason. Many people swear by it for skin health and to help slow the aging process, but research shows that it can benefit the body in many ways. In a recent episode of this podcast, one guest explained how dramatically light impacts the body, influencing everything from sleep to hormones and much more. He explained that some research shows that red light can help protect against damage from too much blue light exposure or too much sun exposure. Red light does naturally occur at some times of the day too, which is another great reason to get outside first thing in the morning or as the sun sets, but for those of us who can’t make that a habit every day, at home red lights like Joovv are the solution. Learn more and lock in an exclusive Wellness Mama discount at joovv.com/wellnessmama.
This podcast is sponsored by Hiya Health – That’s Hiya… a new approach to kids vitamins. At Hiya, they believe that many kids vitamins create more problems than they solve, basically as candy in disguise with as much as two teaspoons of sugar and additives you don’t want your kids eating! Hiya is made without the sugar or junk and kids love them. They arrive straight to your door on a pediatrician-recommended schedule. Your first month comes with a reusable glass bottle your kids can personalize with stickers, then every month thereafter Hiya sends a no-plastic refill pouch of fresh vitamins — which means Hiya isn’t just good for your kids, it’s also good for the environment. Check them out and learn more at hiyahealth.com/wellnessmama.