You’ve heard me talk about the importance of optimizing our circadian rhythm with food and light, but as women there’s another rhythm we all know well… that monthly cycle that fogs our brains, gets our food cravings going, and plays havoc with our emotions!
It ruins everything, right?
Well, Alisa Vitti is here today to change how we think about periods and all that comes with it!
Alisa is a women’s hormone and functional nutrition expert and an absolute pioneer in women’s biohacking. After her own difficult journey healing her PCOS, she created a true menstrual health care platform based on functional medicine principles. It’s called FloLiving or the MyFLO app and using these programs has made a tremendous difference in how I approach my daily life.
Alisa’s message is that with the right education, tools, and support, a women’s hormonal cycle can be a powerful advantage that guides us to daily rhythms and habits that allow us to thrive. You’re going to love her and this episode!
Episode Highlights on FloLiving
- The (shocking) percentage of women today dealing with hormonal health issues
- Which six systems of the body hormones control
- The four key stages of the menstrual cycle and how our brains and bodies adapt to each
- Infradian rhythm: what it is and why it’s just as important as circadian
- Why medical research is so lacking when it comes to women’s health
- The right way to do intermittent fasting if you’re in your childbearing years
- Stories we tell ourselves about our hormones and emotions… and how to rewrite them to our advantage
- The reasons women need to approach health and biohacking much differently from men
- How to match the foods you eat to the stage of your cycle for sustained energy and mood
- Science and cycle backed ways to manage stress and get out of fight-0r-flight mode
- What to do if you have irregular cycles, PCOS, or are on the pill
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- MyFLO App
- In the FLO: Unlock Your Hormonal Advantage and Unlock Your Life by Alisa Vitti
- WomanCode: Perfect Your Cycle, Amplify Your Fertility, Supercharge Your Sex Drive, and Become a Power Source by Alisa Vitti
- Daughters of the Earth: The Lives and Legends of American Indian Women by Carol Niethammer
- Vagina: A New Biography by Naomi Wolf
- Women Who Run With Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetypes by Clarissa Pinkola Estes
- Oura Ring
More From Wellness Mama
- 80: What Your Monthly Cycle Reveals About Your Hormones With Alisa Vitti
- 196: How the Modern World Is Changing Our Hormones (& How to Create a Balance Plan)
- 226: Science-Backed Reasons to Ditch the Pill (& What to Do Instead) With Dr. Jolene Brighten
- 294: Using Targeted Nutrition to Alleviate Hormone Related Issues With Dr. Chris Masterjohn
- 104: Uncovering the Root Causes of PCOS, Endometriosis, and More
- Menstrual Cup: How to Use One for a Healthy, Eco-Friendly Period
- How to Use Fertility Monitors to Space or Avoid Pregnancy
- Natural Alternatives to Hormonal Contraceptives
- 10 Tips to Help Balance Hormones Naturally
Do you have a question we didn’t cover, or a tip to share? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is sponsored by BLUblox. They create stylish and effective blue light blocking glasses for any time of day. Their BluLite lens is a clear lens designed for people who work under artificial light during the day, but they don’t want to look like they are wearing orange glasses. This one is designed to target the light that created digital eye strain, migraines, headaches and more. Their SummerGlo lens steps it up a notch for those who are exposed to intense artificial light all day and who suffer from migraines, anxiety, depression and SAD by blocking the light that contributes to those conditions. For better sleep, their Sleep lens is a complete blue and green light blocking full red lens that is ideal for use after dark. When the sun goes down, the red glasses go on. The studies show that by blocking blue light, you can increase your melatonin production and improve sleep. And lastly, if you can’t create a perfectly dark sleep environment, their REMedy blackout sleep mask is the next best thing, blocking 100% of light while staying comfortable and is easy to sleep in! Code WELLNESSMAMA gives 15% off at blublox.com/wellnessmama
This podcast is brought to you by Gaia Herbs and their black elderberry syrup! I’ve been a big fan of elderberry syrup for years and theirs is the best pre-made one I’ve found. It is also the #1 best-selling organic black elderberry syrup in the U.S. This time of year, it is a medicine cabinet staple and immune season essential. Elderberry will help your family stay feeling well with the delicious immune elixir loved by adults and children alike. It is certified organic and concentrates the juice from 14.5 grams of elderberries in a single teaspoon, so it’s highly potent. It is made with just four clean whole-food ingredients and is vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free and soy-free, making it safe for most people. Black elderberry syrup is safe for the whole family and is formulated for adults and children age 1 and older. You can save on Gaia Herbs by going to gaiaherbs.com/wellnessmama and use code WELLNESSMAMA at checkout for 20% off your first purchase.