When summer is finally in full swing and cucumbers are growing in the garden and available at the farmers market, this cucumber salad is a great simple “salad”. And if you grow dill with your cucumbers to help control garden pests, you’ll have two of the ingredients right in your backyard!
Simple and Refreshing Cucumber and Onion Salad
With only a few ingredients, I can have the salad made in about 10 minutes. Chop up some cucumber and onion, drizzle on a simple vinaigrette with dill and garlic powder, and I’m done. It really is better if it marinates for about half an hour though. So I usually make it first and stick it in the fridge while I make the rest of the meal.
Some cucumber salad recipes suggest scooping out the cucumber seeds, but personally, the seeds are my favorite part so I leave them. If they bother you, remove them first.
I’ve also seen similar recipes with tomatoes added, though I couldn’t have them on my autoimmune protocol, so I never added them. But if you’re a tomato lover, feel free to add some cherry tomatoes. This interesting looking recipe uses avocado!
Interested in Growing some Cukes?
I’ve gotten into gardening gradually over the years. I occasionally do research when I want to try something new, but some of what I’ve learned is through trial and error. I’ve written several posts about gardening, so please peruse and put the results of all my sweat and work to good use! Here are some suggestions to get you started:
- This post is about vertical gardening, which is designed to make good use of limited space. It’s perfect for cucumbers, since they’re climbers anyway!
- This post is about companion planting — planting certain types of plants together to control garden pests and promote plant health
- This post is a recipe for a hand salve that can soothe dry, cracked, gardeners’ hands
More Ways to Enjoy Cucumbers
With only a few ingredients, this cucumber and onion salad makes a great side dish to bring to an event. I also like it topped with some leftover grilled chicken for a fast lunch.
Aside from this salad recipe though, I’ve used cucumbers in a lot of different ways: smoothies, infused waters, dips, sauces, and as noodles! There’s a list about midway through this post for peach cucumber salad. If you love cucumbers or just grew too many, check it out!
In the meantime, I hope you enjoy this light refreshing salad:
Cucumber Salad Recipe
- Cut the cucumbers in half lengthwise and then slice.
- Thinly slice the onion.
- Place the cucumber and onion in a medium sized bowl.
- In a glass 2 cup measure make the dressing by whisking together the vinegar, olive oil, honey, salt, pepper, garlic, and dill.
- Pour the dressing over the cucumbers and onions and stir until well coated.
- Store in the refrigerator for at least two hours to let flavors marry.
- Serve and enjoy.
What’s your favorite salad? Tell me below!