When summer is finally in full swing and cucumbers are growing, this cucumber salad is a great simple “salad.” Also, if you already grow dill with your cucumbers to help control garden pests, you’ll have two of the ingredients right in your backyard!
All you need is cucumber, red onion, and a few kitchen staples you’re sure to already have on hand and presto… a delicious and healthy summer salad.
Simple Cucumber and Onion Salad
I’ve used cucumbers in many different ways: smoothies, infused waters, dips, sauces, and even as noodles! You can find my full list of cucumber recipe ideas in this post.
If you’re looking to keep it simple when it comes to using summer produce, there’s no better option than this quick and easy cucumber salad recipe. With only a few ingredients, you can have this healthy and fresh side dish ready in about 10 minutes.
- Chop up some cucumber and onion
- Drizzle on a simple vinaigrette
Sometimes I serve this right away, but it’s even better if it marinates the dressing for half an hour first. I usually make it first and stick it in the fridge while I make the rest of the meal.
Note: Some cucumber salad recipes suggest scooping out the cucumber seeds, but personally the seeds are my favorite part. If they bother you, remove them first.
I’ve seen similar recipes with tomatoes, but since I couldn’t have them on my autoimmune protocol, I never added them. If you’re a tomato lover, feel free to add some cherry tomatoes or even add avocado!
Make It a Meal
With only a few ingredients, this cucumber and onion salad makes a great side dish to bring to an event. I also like it topped with some leftover grilled chicken for a fast lunch.
I hope you enjoy this light refreshing salad!
Cucumber Salad Recipe
- Cut the cucumbers in half lengthwise and then slice.
- Thinly slice the onion.
- Place the cucumber and onion in a medium sized bowl.
- In a glass 2 cup measure make the dressing by whisking together the vinegar, olive oil, honey, salt, pepper, garlic, and dill.
- Pour the dressing over the cucumbers and onions and stir until well coated.
- Store in the refrigerator for at least two hours to let flavors marry.
- Serve and enjoy.
What’s your favorite salad? Tell me below!