Now that warm weather is here (finally!), I’m working on making summer items like homemade sunscreen and bug spray. I’ve also been working on some new veggie-based recipes that can be served cold so I don’t have to cook as much.
Our local farmer had some gorgeous carrots a few weeks ago and I was looking for a way to use them besides my go-to Tarragon Maple Glazed Carrots recipe. I thought of my spiral slicer that we use to make many types of vegetable noodles and realized that carrots would be perfect for this as well.
Carrot “noodles” have a great crunch and texture, especially when paired with chopped nuts and citrus. I took some inspiration from my Thrive Market box that had recently come in the mail and added some sesame seeds, dates, walnuts, and cashews and the finished product was awesome.
This light and fresh (and simple) side salad is now on my meal plan rotation for summer, and you should give it a try too. You can use a spiral slicer or a vegetable peeler (it takes a little longer). I let my older kids help with the peeling (I don’t let them use the spiral slicer yet) and they enjoyed helping with this recipe.
Shaved Carrot Salad Recipe
- Run vegetable peeler down length of carrots, shaving off long ribbons.
- Place the carrots in a bowl and sprinkle ground ginger, dates, sesame seeds, walnuts, and cashews on top.
- Top with a generous pinch of salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice and coconut oil.
- Pour over salad to serve. The coconut oil may re-harden as it cools but once it has been mixed in, this adds some great flavor and crunch as well.
P.S. If you haven’t tried it yet …Thrive Market delivers wholesome products at wholesale prices right to your front door! Join now and start saving!
What’s your favorite healthy salad? Share below!