Pizza is definitely a kid favorite, but not so much a health promoting one. My kids love our alternative, Meatza, but it is messy to make and takes multiple pans. I’m a huge fan of stir-frys and decided that the ingredients of Pizza, minus the processed junk crust would make a great stir fry.
After a few tries, I finally have a recipe that I really like and that the kids seem to love. In fact, I had to make it twice to get a picture because they ate the first batch before I could photograph it. This also make a surprisingly good breakfast, or leftovers can be used in making a pizza omelet, another kid favorite!
Pizza Stir Fry Recipe (Like Pizza With Extra Veggies!)
Yield 4 -6
An easy stir fry that kids love! Instead of a refined flour crust, this simple stir-fry has all the flavors of pizza with a bunch of healthy veggies for a delicious but guilt-free meal!
- 10 (or more) ounces of pre-sliced nitrate-free pepperoni
- 1 pound ground nitrate free Italian Sausage
- 1 lb zucchini or yellow squash
- 1-2 cups sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 large onion
- Spices: 1 tablespoon each of Italian Seasoning (or mix basil, oregano and thyme) and garlic powder
- Optional toppings: Canned black olives, banana peppers or fresh pepper slices
- Optional: 1 cup pasta or pizza sauce to top
- optional: Mozarella or parmesan cheese to top
- Brown the sausage until cooked over medium high heat in a large skillet
- While cooking, peel and dice the zucchini and onion and slice the mushrooms if not pre-sliced.
- Remove sausage from pan and add vegetables. Saute until starting to get tender.
- At this point, add the sausage back in. Separate pepperoni slices and add.
- Add spinach and black olives, banana peppers or very thinly sliced fresh peppers if using.
- Cook until all are heated and spinach is wilted. Spice to taste
- When cooked, top with pasta/pizza sauce (heat if necessary) and cheese (if using)
Ever turned a favorite food into a stir fry? Let me know below!