Pizza is definitely a kid favorite, but not so much a health promoting one. My kids love our alternative, Meatza, but it is messy to make and takes multiple pans. I’m a huge fan of stir-frys and decided that the ingredients of Pizza, minus the processed junk crust would make a great stir fry.
After a few tries, I finally have a recipe that I really like and that the kids seem to love. In fact, I had to make it twice to get a picture because they ate the first batch before I could photograph it. This also makes a surprisingly good breakfast, or leftovers can be used in making a pizza omelet, another kid favorite!
Pizza Stir Fry Recipe
Yield 9 cups
An easy stir fry that kids love! This simple stir-fry has all the flavors of pizza with Italian sausage and lots of healthy veggies for a delicious, but guilt-free meal!
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 2 medium zucchini or yellow squash
- 1-2 cups mushrooms
- 1 large onion
- 2 bell peppers
- 10 oz pepperoni, sliced
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup black olives
- ½ cup banana peppers
- 1 cup pasta or pizza sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella or Parmesan cheese to top (optional)
- Brown the sausage in a skillet over medium heat until cooked.
- While the sausage is cooking, peel and dice the zucchini and slice the mushrooms, onion, and bell peppers.
- Remove the sausage from the pan and set aside.
- Add the vegetables to the pan and saute until starting to get tender.
- Return the sausage to the pan.
- Separate the pepperoni slices and add them to the pan with the sausage and vegetables.
- Slice the black olives and banana peppers and add them to the pan.
- Add the spinach, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder.
- Cook and stir until the spinach is wilted.
- Warm the sauce in a saucepan on the stove and grate the cheese.
- Divide the stir fry among bowls, top with sauce and cheese if using.
Use whatever combination of vegetables you like best on pizza!
Serving Size 1½ cups
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 46.9 g
Saturated Fat 15.1 g
Cholesterol 116 mg
Sodium 1760 mg
Total Carbohydrates 16.7 g
Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
Sugars 8.5 g
Protein 30.1 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Ever turned a favorite food into a stir fry? Let me know below!