Pizza is definitely a kid favorite, but not usually a healthy one. My kids love our alternative, Meatza, but it is messy to make and takes multiple pans. I’m a huge fan of stir-frys and decided that the toppings of pizza would make a great stir fry. After a few tries, I finally have a recipe that I really like and that the kids seem to love. In fact, I had to make it twice to get a picture because they ate the first batch before I could photograph it!
Pizza Stir Fry
Stir frys of all types are one of my favorite types of meals to make. They are, without fail, fast and easy to make, loaded with vegetables, and only dirty one pan. I have plenty of “normal” stir fry recipes in regular rotation, but this pizza stir fry is one of my more creative recipes. I figured, why not give it a try?
I use Italian seasonings, Italian sausage and nitrate-free pepperoni and all the pizza vegetables — mushrooms, fresh spinach, black olives, onions, and bell peppers. I also toss in some diced zucchini. Feel free to use whatever combination of pizza veggies you like best.
I top each bowl with a couple spoonfuls of warmed pasta sauce or pizza sauce and a sprinkle of shredded mozzarella. You could even put the (oven-safe) bowls under the broiler for a few minutes to melt the cheese.
Other Ways to Serve Pizza Stir Fry
The Italian sausage in this makes this stir fry taste breakfasty and makes a surprisingly good breakfast as well as dinner. Sometimes we make it fresh, just for breakfast, or sometimes we heat up leftovers. You could also try something like this and heat up the leftovers in ramekins in the oven and melt the cheese on top.
To change things up a little bit, the leftovers can also be used in making a pizza omelet, another kid favorite! Just use the stir fry as the omelet filling and top with warmed pizza sauce and shredded mozzarella.
More Stir Fry Recipes
Check out the list below for some of my other stir fry recipes.
- Beef and Cabbage Stir Fry
- Spicy Shrimp Stir Fry
- Chicken Apple Stir Fry
- Greek Stir Fry
- Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
- Chicken Squash Stir Fry
Pizza Stir Fry Recipe
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 2 medium zucchini or yellow squash
- 1-2 cups mushrooms
- 1 large onion
- 2 bell peppers
- 10 oz pepperoni (sliced)
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup black olives
- ½ cup banana peppers
- 1 cup pizza sauce (or pasta sauce)
- 1 cup mozzarella or Parmesan cheese (shredded, optional)
- Brown the sausage in a skillet over medium heat until cooked.
- While the sausage is cooking, peel and dice the zucchini and slice the mushrooms, onion, and bell peppers.
- Remove the sausage from the pan and set aside.
- Add the vegetables to the pan and saute until starting to get tender.
- Return the sausage to the pan.
- Separate the pepperoni slices and add them to the pan with the sausage and vegetables.
- Slice the black olives and banana peppers and add them to the pan.
- Add the spinach, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder.
- Cook and stir until the spinach is wilted.
- Warm the sauce in a saucepan on the stove and grate the cheese.
- Divide the stir fry among bowls, top with sauce and cheese if using.
Have you made some stir frys with “creative” ingredients? What’s your favorite combo?