I love sweet and savory flavors together and while chocolate covered bacon fits the bill, it isn’t the best for a nutritious meal idea. These sausage stuffed apples are a great dinner idea and their fun packaging makes them appealing to kids. My kids also love stuffed sweet potatoes if sweet potatoes are more of a favorite in your house.
They are easy to make ahead and can be packed for lunches (or breakfasts!) the next day. This is a fun one to have kids help with. Best served with salad or some steamed veggies.
Sausage Stuffed Apples Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Cut each apple in half, but don’t peel, and scoop out the seed area with a spoon or sharp knife to make each apple a “bowl.” Alternately, you can use a corer to remove most of the inside and leave the apples intact as pictured.
- Brown the sausage in a large skillet until completely cooked.
- Remove sausage and add onion and celery to pan and sauté until starting to soften.
- Return sausage to pan and mix well.
- Add spices to taste.
- Drizzle with the maple syrup or honey.
- Spoon some of the sausage mixture into each apple and place on the bottom of a large baking dish.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until apples are cooked and fragrant.
- Remove and serve with salad.
Do you use fruit in cooking? What is your favorite recipe? Share your secrets!