I’m a natural skin care product addict.
In college, my bathroom was filled with dozens of hair products, skin products and make-up that were likely filled with hundreds of chemicals.
Since switching to natural options, I still have dozens of personal care products in my bathroom (much to my husband’s frustration) but now they are packaged in glass jars and contain ingredients like shea butter, cocoa butter, coconut oil, honey and other edible and natural ingredients.
Lotion bars are typically some of my favorites and they are much easier to use than regular lotion, but I started making them in plastic deodorant containers, which makes them even easier to apply.
In the fall, I love using shea butter lotion, because it naturally protects skin from dry, cool weather and is said to help the skin naturally produce collagen. In many places, it is a revered remedy for keeping skin looking young and it really does make skin “softer than a baby’s bottom”
I love adding in my favorite essential oils to make this an all-over skin nourishing remedy. I don’t personally use it on my face, since my face tends to have plenty of natural oils, but I know many women who love to use shea butter on the face, and this would be an easy way to apply it.
Where to Get Ingredients…
- I buy shea butter in bulk (from here) but I’ve also bought it from Amazon in bulk (here’s the one I used).
- I order these beeswax pastilles in bulk and use them in many recipes.
- I get coconut oil in five-gallon buckets (from here) and I’ve also ordered it from Mountain Rose Herbs.
- I’ve used several different types of plastic tubes for this recipe. These are the ones in the picture, but I’ve also used these white containers and these clear ones with good results.
Shea Butter Lotion Bar Stick Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons raw organic shea butter
- 1 tablespoon unrefined coconut oil- solid at room temp (can use extra shea butter if allergic to coconut)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil OR castor oil
- 2 teaspoons beeswax
- 20+ drops of essential oil of choice (optional) I used chamomile, geranium and orange
What to Do:
- Slowly melt all ingredients, except essential oils, down in a double boiler or sturdy glass bowl over a small pan of boiling water. (TIP: I found an old double boiler at a thrift store that I use for skin products only).
- Remove from heat and add essential oils.
- Pour in to lotion bar tube.
- Let cool for several hours or overnight. I put mine in the fridge to speed the cooling process.
Note: This recipe makes enough for one 4-ounce lotion bar tube. For a firmer lotion bar stick, use more beeswax. For a smoother lotion bar stick, use less beeswax and more coconut oil or olive oil.
Other DIY Natural Skin Care Products:
Here are a few of my other favorite skin care recipes made from natural ingredients…
- Original Lotion Bars
- Lotion Bar Sticks
- Pain Relief Lotion Bars
- Sensitive Skin Lotion Bars
- Bronzing Lotion Bars
- Eczema Relief Lotion Bars
- Sunscreen Lotion bars
- Bug Off Lotion Bars
- Magnesium Body Butter
- Whipped Body Butter
Ever made your own skin care products? What did you make?