Ketchup is one of the most kid-friendly foods out there, and some kids will eat anything with ketchup on it. Unfortunately, most store bought versions are packed with GMO tomatoes and High Fructose Corn Syrup.
Thankfully, it is pretty easy to whip up a batch of ketchup in your kitchen that avoids the harmful ingredients.
- 3 cans/jars of organic Tomato Paste (I order the jars by the case from here)
- ½ cup white vinegar or apple cider vinegar (this will leave a faint apple taste)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons honey or cane sugar, or about ½ tsp stevia powder/tincture (or more to taste)
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan or sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard powder
- A pinch of each of the following (to taste): Cinnamon, cloves, all-spice, cayenne
- 1 cup of water
- Optional: 1 teaspoon powdered chia seeds (powder in food processor or blender) for thickness
- Put the ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend well. Put in fridge to let flavors meld overnight or at least two hours.
- Use as you would the GMOhighfructosecornsyrup regular ketchup.
Ever made your own condiments? Please share below!