What would Thanksgiving (or Fall!) be without something pumpkin. Whether it is Spiced Pumpkin Lattes or pumpkin pie, the taste and scent of pumpkin is a perfect companion to cool fall weather.
I was never actually a big pumpkin pie fan in the past. In the past couple of years, I’ve fallen in love with coconut and pumpkin… and this recipe is a good combination of both. It is grain free and can be made completely dairy free as well.
A Better Pumpkin Pie:
If your family considers pumpkin pie a part of the Thanksgiving feast, consider this healthier option this year! It has all the same flavors of traditional pumpkin pie but can accommodate those who are gluten free and dairy free. This recipe also uses natural sweeteners in place of the sugar or corn syrup used in many pumpkin pies.
Give it a try…
- For Crust-
- 1 cup of almonds or pecans, finely ground in blender until flour like (or almond flour)
- 3 TBSP of coconut oil plus some to grease pie pan
- 1 egg
- Cinnamon powder (1/4-1/2 tsp or to taste)
- For Filling-
- 1 (15 ounce) can of pumpkin (nothing added) or approx 2 cups of homemade pureed pumpkin with excess liquid drained
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup of honey or maple syrup (or to taste) - can substitute stevia, but the honey actually helps it hold better
- 1 Tablespoon of pumpkin pie spices or about 2 teaspoons cinnamon and ¼ tsp each of cloves, ginger and nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon natural vanilla
- coconut milk to thin (no more than about ⅓ cup)
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Grease pie pan with coconut oil and mix crust ingredients by hand in a medium sized bowl.
- Press crust into bottom and sides of pie pan and put in the oven while making the filling.
- In the same bowl (no need for extra dishes!) combine the filling ingredients (except coconut milk) and mix using an immersion blender. If you don't have one of these, use a regular blender or food processor. A hand-mixer will not get it as smooth! It should be smooth and spreadable, but not really pourable. Add coconut milk if needed to thin slightly.
- After 10-15 minutes, remove the crust as it barely starts to brown.
- Pour/smooth the filling over the crust and return to oven for about an hour or until center is no longer jiggly. Will set more as it cooks.
- Top with coconut cream or whipped heavy cream and some chopped pecans.
What is your favorite Thanksgiving dessert? Any other recipes you want healthy versions of? Tell be below!