I’ve shared my recipes for homemade herb and spice blends before, and one of my favorites is homemade pumpkin pie spice. It’s simple to make and is an easy way to make sure there are fresh spices (and only that) in your blend. You can also adjust the recipe based on your family’s tastes and the way you like to use it.
Origin of an Obsession
Since pumpkin is a native plant of North America, pumpkin pie spice likely originated in North America. It probably began as a variation of the British “mixed spice” which consisted of cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg. This suggests that the spice blend originated sometime after European settlers came to the U.S.
In the mid-20th century, spice companies began premixing pumpkin pie spice for consumers. This convenience food spice blend may have lead to pumpkin pie spice being used for more than just pumpkin pies.
How to Make Pumpkin Pie Spice + Recipes
I usually make a double or triple batch of this and store it in a small mason jar in my cabinet for easy use. Making this spice blend at home saves money and lasts a long time.
This spice blend is an obvious staple for our homemade pumpkin pie, but it is also great in some unusual recipes such as:
- Pumpkin pie cheesecake… need I say more?
- Add 1 tablespoon of pumpkin pie spice to the hot honey mixture in this marshmallow recipe for a delicious variation
- Chop sweet potatoes, then sprinkle them with pumpkin pie spice and salt before roasting at 400°F for 30 minutes
- Add it to coffee to make a homemade pumpkin spice latte
- Make homemade pumpkin bread or muffins
- Make delicious pumpkin spice meltaways with healthy fats for a quick energy boost
- Add a sprinkle to some pumpkin chili
- Sprinkle on homemade whipped cream
- Add some to a pot of simmering water for a natural air freshener
Pumpkin Pie Spice Recipe
Looking for More? Check Out These “Spicy” Fall Recipes!
If you’re looking for fall-inspired recipes but are done with pumpkin, these recipes are perfect!
- Spiced-Up Turmeric Latte with Cinnamon and Chicory – If you’re looking for a soothing coffee drink that doesn’t contain coffee, this is it! I love drinking this latte in the morning and at night since there’s no caffeine to mess with sleep.
- Fresh Spiced Apple Cider Recipe – I love cooking this recipe in the fall when we have an abundance of fresh apples. The smell is so delicious and permeates the house!
- Spice Cake – Fall is a perfect time for spice cake. This recipe is grain-free and made with only healthy ingredients!
- Applesauce Recipe – A simple recipe consisting of just organic apples and cinnamon. This is a perfect fall treat and can be canned for later use.
How do you use pumpkin pie spice? Do you make your own?