A delicious (and reliable) pie crust recipe is essential in every kitchen. Even better if it’s grain free and paleo! I often go crustless for recipes like my bacon and broccoli quiche, but for some recipes, a pie crust is important.
I recently realized that I although I have several pie recipes with crust, I hadn’t shared my standard pie crust recipe on the blog… so here it is!
No-Fuss Almond Flour Pie Crust
I wanted to create a pie crust recipe that was grain free and dairy optional. I decided to use almond flour as the base because it has a nice crunch and flavor when baked.
The dough for this pie crust is the press in kind, not the roll out kind. And honestly, pressing the dough into the pie plate is so much easier than rolling it out and trying to successfully fit it into the pan. If you make a hole or the dough is too thick in one spot, just smoosh it to another spot!
I like to use a food processor to make this crust, but it also works perfectly with just a bowl and a fork.
One note about this recipe: It makes a very good basic pie crust that’s perfectly tasty for any pie, but you can customize it too. If I’m making a sweet pie, I’ll sometimes add a little honey. If I’m making a savory pie I might add some herbs, such as my Italian seasoning.
Sweet or Savory Pie Recipes to Try:
I use this basic almond flour pie crust recipe for the following recipes, but add an extra ingredient or two to each to adapt it for each pie.
- Key Lime Pie – Tangy, healthy, and delicious. I add a little honey to the crust for this one.
- Fresh Strawberry Pie (Gluten and Dairy Free) – My absolute favorite come strawberry season.
- Chocolate Raspberry Pie – A chocolate crust filled with raspberries and topped with whipped cream. So simple. I add a little cocoa powder and honey to the crust recipe.
- Chicken Pot Pie – the crust goes on top of this pie, so the dough has to be a spreadable consistency. I add an extra egg and some Parmesan cheese.
- This Bacon, Goat Cheese, and Tomato Tart isn’t my recipe, but I think it’s interesting that she recommends adding a little bacon grease to the crust mix for added flavor.
Almond Flour Pie Crust Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a medium sized bowl or food processor mix together the almond flour, arrowroot powder, and salt.
- Cut in the cold butter or coconut oil with a fork or pulse in the food processor until the mixture is crumbly.
- Add the egg and vinegar to the flour mixture and mix until evenly combined.
- Press into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie pan, crimping the edges if desired.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
What’s your favorite gluten-free pie crust recipe? I’d love to hear about it!