Often a healthy diet and fried foods seem incompatible, but this doesn’t have to be the case. When using quality ingredients and oils that are safe to use at high temperatures (like coconut oil or tallow), fried foods can be an acceptable part of a healthy diet.
This is one of my favorite recipes that uses good fats. I used to love fried foods and figured I would have to give them up forever when I realized just how bad vegetable oils are! This recipe uses healthy fats and coconut flour to make a healthy and delicious version of a typically unhealthy food.
- 1 large onion
- approx ½ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup arrowroot powder
- garlic powder, salt, pepper
- 2 eggs
- tallow(my favorite), lard or coconut oil
- Heat fat (tallow, lard or coconut oil) over medium/high heat in a large skillet
- Mix coconut flour, arrowroot and spices on a large plate
- Beat eggs in a bowl
- Peel and thinly slice whole onion into rings
- Separate rings and dip into egg mixture, then into coconut mixture
- Drop into hot oil and cook about 3 minutes per side
- Remove and eat