Table of Contents[Hide][Show]
Zucchini boats with sausage are a great weeknight meal that pulls together quickly. We have several variations we make regularly and the kids love helping make them. It’s an easy way to help my kids get the nutrition they need with a meal the whole family loves.
They’re naturally gluten-free, low-carb, and keto friendly. And who doesn’t love a warm, cheesy main dish? If your family is dairy-free though, then the cheese can easily be omitted.
This stuffed zucchini recipe frequently makes it onto our weekly meal plan because they’re so easy and versatile to make. The zucchini is scooped out to make room for fillings like bell pepper, sausage, and minced garlic.
I love how they’re a great meal on the go and also reheat well. I’ll wrap them up in foil and store them in the fridge until I’m ready to reheat them in the oven. You can wrap them in parchment paper first, then the foil so they aren’t cooking in aluminum in the oven.
I’ve even made these ahead to serve for breakfast on busy mornings. Way healthier than grabbing a donut!
Zucchini Boat Variations
You can easily customize them however you want by changing up the spices. You could do a lasagna flavor version with Italian seasoning, mozzarella cheese, marinara sauce, or tomato sauce, and topped with parmesan cheese. Make a taco version with black beans, red bell pepper, ground turkey or beef, and taco seasoning.
Garnish it with red pepper flakes, oregano, or a drizzle of fresh olive oil if desired. They make a great main course, but double as a side dish when needed.
Choosing Your Zucchini
While large zucchini is great for zucchini bread, I prefer using more of a medium size here. The texture is a little better in the recipe. If the zucchini is too small though, there isn’t enough room to fit the toppings in.
Looking For More Zucchini Recipes?
Here are other ways to use up any zucchini you may have lying around!
- Air Fryer Zucchini Fries
- Zucchini Fritters Recipe
- Creamy Lemon Tarragon Zucchini
- 20-Minute Beef & Zucchini Stir-Fry
- Zucchini Lasagna Recipe
Stuffed Zucchini Sausage Boats
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 1 medium bell pepper (diced)
- 2 TBSP coconut oil
- 1 lb ground sausage (or ground beef)
- 4 medium zucchini
- ¼ cup roasted red peppers (diced, optional)
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp basil
- ½ tsp thyme
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup shredded cheese (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Saute the onion and bell pepper for about 5 minutes.
- Add the ground sausage to the skillet and stir occasionally until cooked through.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and set it aside.
- Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise. Use a paring knife and spoon to scoop out (and keep!) the seeds and center of the zucchini flesh, leaving a hallowed out zucchini canoe with edges about ¼ inch thick.
- Dice the zucchini centers that you removed and add them to the meat and veggie mixture in the skillet.
- Add the diced, roasted red peppers, eggs, herbs, and spices to the skillet and stir well.
- Divide the meat mixture evenly among the zucchini halves and top with shredded cheese if desired.
- Bake in a baking dish or baking sheet for 25-30 minutes or until heated through and the cheese starts to bubble.
- Top with sour cream if desired and enjoy!
- I like to make extra and wrap them to reheat later for breakfast or lunch on the go.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container.
What’s your favorite way to eat zucchini or summer squash? Share below!
Discussion (13 Comments)
When do you add the herbs? (And can you pls update the recipe on Real Plans too?) Thanks!
Making this with our bountiful zucchini crop for the second year in a row.
Thank you Wellness Mama.
Hello, I am wondering if you have ever used and reviewed a Nu Wave oven? If so are they a good healthy choice? My aunt bought me one as a gift and I love it. It can cook and reheat anything. I just started switching over to natural living due to autoimmune and other health problems ,which by the way let me thank you for everything you do here. It is Very Much appreciated here. I have been reading everything on your site and now I’m curious to know how good it really is. I’ve read where you have tested products and if it is a good healthy choices I highly recommend it. Thank you for your time and patience.
I haven’t tried one…
I love this recipe! It turned out so well for us. It was moist and flavorful. I added some butter while cooking the onions and meat in addition to oil which I think really helped me get my 20 month old to eat it! It is the first time that he has willingly eaten beef, and onions. So delicious!
I made this for dinner tonight! Yummy…. And my 2 year old who won’t touch a veggie (that she knows about) ate the stuffing and loved it. We will work on her eating the zucchini next! I will note that there are a couple steps missing from the recipe and roasted red peppers and the oil are not listed in the ingredients.
I made this for dinner tonight. It was great! Thanks for the recipe 🙂
Hey there wellness mama. I am new here at the chatting, but have been looking around on your site at everything and I love it. I was in another yahoo group and that didn’t work out very well so I have been looking around for another site that does this natural healing. I am going to try some of your recipes on here, they sound so good. I have already started brushing my teeth with your recipe for toothpaste, and I am going to try your deodorant recipe. I have bad teeth and I am trying to keep to them so I can be proud of my smile. I just want to say thanks for having this site.
I’ve done similar zucchini boats with pork sausage– soooo good! These look so easy and delicious! I can’t wait to try them!
I just made this, so easy and so yummy! I added hot sausage to the ground beef and topped it with salsa.
Do you have any more fruit ‘ice cream’ recipes – natural and sugar free preferably? Thanks