I love how happy and healthy spending time outside makes me feel, so I garden. Part of the result of that is there’s always an abundance of zucchini during the summer months. Zucchini plants are such super producers that I frequently find myself with more vegetables than I know what to do with. I’ve come up with a number of recipes over the years to make use of them. These tasty, crispy, air fryer zucchini fries are the latest.
Frying in the Air Fryer
I’ve been re-testing a lot of my old fried recipes, like my homemade mozzarella sticks, in the air fryer lately. I do enjoy frying stuff occasionally, but doing it in the air fryer is a big time saver. I have a big stainless steel one that allows me to cook more at once than the smaller kind.
If you don’t have an air fryer you can absolutely bake these in the oven. Just make sure that you leave plenty of space between them. Also, I would broil them for the last few minutes to make sure they’re nice and crispy.
Making the Zucchini Fries
To make the fries you need to first cut the zucchini into evenly sized sticks about 3-4 inches long. I don’t bother peeling the zucchini.
To bread the zucchini fries I use the classic dip it in beaten egg and then flour breading technique. Simple, tried and true, and yes, messy. But that’s okay. We’re washable.
Since we tend to avoid most grains though, I usually use almond flour for breading fried food. Example: these chicken fingers. In the case of these zucchini fries, I mix the almond flour with Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and salt.
Once the zucchini fries are breaded and ready to go, just give them a spritz with oil and stick them in the air fryer for about 10 minutes. You may have to work in batches depending on the size of your air fryer. Resist the temptation to crowd them all in there at once or you won’t have a nice crispy exterior.
And that’s really all there is to it! The breading is the most labor-intensive part of it all, but if you’ve got kids running around let them do it. They’ll have fun and be extra excited to taste what they’ve made.
Need a Dipping Sauce?
Some of my kids are die-hard dippers. I’ve got a couple that really don’t seem to require condiments at all, which makes the dippers think the non-dippers are completely insane. So if you’ve got dippers in your life you may want to consider a sauce to dunk these zucchini fries in.
Here are some sauces to try with the air fryer zucchini fries:
Air Fryer Zucchini Fries
- Cut the ends off the zucchini and discard. Then cut the zucchini into sticks, about 3-4 inches long and 1/2 inch thick.
- In a shallow bowl, beat the eggs then set aside.
- In a shallow dish, mix together the flour, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, and salt.
- Bread the zucchini sticks by dipping them first in the beaten egg and then in the almond flour mixture.
- Place them in the air fryer basket/tray leaving space between each one.
- Spritz the zucchini fries with a little oil and air fry them at 400°F for 10 minutes or until crispy and browned. Work in batches until all the zucchini fries are cooked.
- Serve immediately plain or with your favorite dipping sauce and enjoy!
Do you have a favorite air fryer vegetable recipe? I’d love to hear about it — I want to try them all!