This is one of my favorite dessert recipes. Ever.
Good ol’ pumpkin pie is always a classic around this time of year (and I love it!) but after many years of the same desserts at Thanksgiving, I was ready for something new. I had heard of pumpkin cheesecake and it seemed like the perfect time to try!
The results did not disappoint! Pumpkin pie cheesecake is now a regular on our holiday table.
Why Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake?
I have a feeling this point doesn’t take much convincing, but if you’ve never tried this combination of pumpkin pie and cheesecake, it’s just how you imagine it… creamy and full of flavor with that hint of warming spices.
It’s also a treat you don’t have to feel guilty about since this is a healthier and lower sugar version of cheesecake.
My kids are pretty good bakers now (thanks to this e-course they did a few years ago), so this is one recipe they tackle a day or two ahead of time while I work on batch cooking the rest of our Thanksgiving meal.
How to Make Grain and Gluten-Free Cheesecake
The first time I made it, I used a fresh Cinderella pumpkin or “old fashioned pumpkin” for this recipe. (It weighed about 25 pounds and barely fit in my oven… #kitchenadventures!)
I roasted the pumpkin in the oven at 325°F for a few hours until it was soft and then peeled the skin off. The flesh was enough to make more than 10 pies/cheesecakes (and some pumpkin lattes to go with it).
Do you need to be crazy like me and use fresh pumpkin to make this recipe? No, certainly not! I keep canned pumpkin on my Thrive Market app order list so the pantry is always stocked. The important thing is to make sure you aren’t using pumpkin with a lot of extra additives, if you can help it.
If you want to skip the can, you can also freeze fresh roasted pumpkin in batches for future baking. Here’s how I freeze food without plastic (as much as possible).
Healthier Grain-Free Pumpkin Cheesecake Recipe
I originally saw this recipe on a website that is no longer around and adapted it to our tastes. Play around with the stevia and pumpkin spice until it suits your taste! (and check out his blog for some other great recipes!)
Gluten-Free Pumpkin Cheesecake Recipe
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- For crust, finely powder the nuts in a food processor or blender.
- Mix powdered nuts with coconut oil, egg, cinnamon, and honey or stevia, and use hands to press into bottom of pie pan.
- Put in oven for 10-15 minutes or until crust is slightly toasted.
- For filling, use a blender or immersion blender to mix together the pumpkin puree, coconut oil, cream cheese, eggs, spices, vanilla, and sweetener.
- Pour filling into toasted crust.
- Return to oven and cook for 35-45 minutes or until top doesn’t wiggle in center and starts to slightly crack on sides.
- Remove and let cool.
- Chill at least 2 hours or overnight before serving.
- Add a dollop of coconut whipped cream and enjoy!
Other Real Food Desserts:
- Grain-Free Pecan Pie Recipe
- Gingerbread Cookies Recipe with Dates & Molasses
- Grain-Free Pumpkin Bread and Muffins
- Healthy Key Lime Pie Recipe
- Gluten-Free Carrot Cake Recipe
- Crock-Pot Cheesecake Recipe
What is your favorite dessert? Tell me about it below!