Who doesn’t love ice cream on a hot summer day? Umm… those of us that don’t eat dairy! I first learned to make homemade ice cream when we were avoiding dairy for my son years ago. It was so good we still make it today!
This ice cream gets its creaminess from coconut milk and avocado, which can be enjoyed by almost everyone. Since making ice cream is on our summer bucket list, I’m glad to have an ice cream recipe full of nutrients and healthy fats for the kids to enjoy.
I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream for… Avocado Ice Cream?
Avocados have such a mild taste and creamy texture that they’re perfect for desserts. I’ve used them before in cucumber lime veggie smoothies and real food shamrock shakes. Whenever I find a good deal on avocados, I know it’s time to stock up and make this recipe (and maybe some avocado brownies too).
Another reason avocados work so well for mint chocolate chip ice cream is the light green color they add naturally. Don’t expect the bright (often artificial) green that you see in the store though!
Homemade Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream With Coconut Milk
To make the ice cream, I simply puree everything except the chocolate chips together in a blender and then pour it into the ice cream maker. I add the chocolate chips once it starts to thicken.
If you don’t have an ice cream maker you can freeze it without one, just stir it occasionally until it thickens.
Looking for more cool coconut milk treats? Try these:
- Strawberry coconut milk ice cream
- Coconut mango popsicles
- Homemade pineapple whip
- Coconut granita – not my recipe, but it looks pretty simple and delicious
One note: This ice cream freezes very solid. Let it thaw at room temperature for 10-15 minutes before trying to scoop it.
Paleo Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Recipe
- 2 Haas avocados
- 1 can coconut milk
- ⅓ cup honey
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch sea salt
- ¾ cup chocolate chips
- Place all the ingredients except the chocolate chips in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and churn until thickened.
- Add the chocolate chips and churn 2 minutes more.
- The ice cream will be a very soft texture at this point. You can either serve immediately as soft-serve or pour into a freezer safe bowl and freeze until ready to use.
- Allow to thaw at room temperature for 10-15 minutes before serving.
- Taste after step 1 and add more peppermint extract if desired.
- If you do not have an ice cream maker, add the chocolate chips and put into a freezer safe bowl and into the freezer. Stir every 30 minutes until thickened.
Do you have a creative way to use avocados? Tell me about it below!
Discussion (2 Comments)
Do you have an ice cream maker you recommend? Thanks!
This is a good one: https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-ICE-30R-Indulgence-Frozen-Brushed/dp/B016B40T0O/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=wellnessmama-20&linkId=ac3f4f2ee29cf0f253453a64c7490308&language=en_US