When we went grain free, I thought I had given up the waffle iron forever. Instead we ate a lot of variations of frittatas and breakfast casseroles or repurposed leftovers.
The waffle iron sat in our attic for a year until the kids asked if we could make waffles again. I played around with a lot of ideas and eventually came up with this recipe. Unlike regular waffles these are packed with protein and can even be made dairy free as well.
Making Waffles With Coconut Flour
Coconut flour is a protein and fiber-packed alternative to normal wheat flour. If you’ve never cooked with coconut flour before, it takes a little practice to learn to use correctly. You should definitely be made aware that coconut flour acts like a sponge. It soaks up whatever liquid it’s mixed with. For that reason, most recipes that use coconut flour call for only a small amount.
This one uses just half a cup and is whisked together with eight (yes, eight) eggs. The extra eggs are needed to create the right texture with these waffles.
We really like cinnamon (plus it has great health benefits), so I put about a tablespoon of cinnamon in these. Feel free to reduce that amount if you’re not as crazy about the spice as I am.
These coconut flour waffles really are delicious, just don’t try to eat as many of these as you could regular waffles — they are extra filling!
Waffle Breakfast Sandwiches
For a fast, on-the-go breakfast, make a waffle breakfast sandwich. Cut a waffle in half and put eggs and bacon/sausage and maybe a slice of cheese inside.
Leftover waffles are also great crisped up in the toaster or on a baking sheet in the oven.
Coconut Flour Waffle Recipe
More Healthy Breakfast Ideas
- Apple Cinnamon Muffins – made with coconut flour, they are gluten free and delicious
- Breakfast Egg Muffins – bacon curled around the edge of a muffin cup, filled with bell pepper, onion, and egg, and baked in the oven
- Breakfast Pizza – a sausage patty topped with eggs, cheese, green onion, mushrooms, and maybe a little salsa
- Coconut Chia Porridge
- Coconut Flour or Almond Flour Pancakes
- Easy Egg Wraps – I haven’t tried these yet, but I love the idea of using eggs as a wrap instead of a traditional tortilla or flatbread
- Homemade Breakfast Sausage – my not-so-secret seasoning recipe
- Lemon Blueberry Muffins – blueberries and a little lemon zest topped with a pecan topping… mmm!
What is your favorite waffle recipe? Have you made a healthy version of an unhealthy favorite? Tell me below!