The spine is so incredibly important for our posture, alignment, nervous health, and more… but how often do we really think about taking care of it? Dr. Ty Carzoli is a doctor of chiropractic and has conducted research at Florida State in cardiovascular and muscle physiology. He specializes in a really cool form of upper cervical work called orthospinology, which we’ll talk about today.
In this episode, Dr. Ty breaks down spinal science and the way the spine affects pretty much all of the body in a way we can all understand. I absolutely love the mission he’s on to help empower people to take control of their health through education!
Episode Highlights With Ty Carzoli
- An overview of the spine and how it works… bone by bone
- The importance of the C1 and C2 axis of the spine
- The part of the spine that is most vulnerable to injury or displacement, and how to protect it
- Common everyday movements in modern life undermine our spinal health
- How the nervous system and the spinal cord intertwine (literally)
- Why where you’re hurting isn’t always the source of the pain
- How the soft tissues surrounding the spine become stressed
- Lifestyle factors that accelerate aging (and what to do instead)
- Why daily movement and good spinal health may be the best thing you can do to ensure a healthy brain in old age
- The most ideal types of exercise for the spine and how much exercise you need to keep it healthy
- The role of proprioceptors in the body (fellow science geeks… enjoy!)
- Answers to the questions you always wanted to ask your chiropractor (but didn’t)
- Hope for migraine and post-concussive sufferers
- What evolutionary biology has to do with it all
- And more!
Resources We Mention
More From Wellness Mama
- 458: Dr. Marcella Madera on Neurosurgery, Stem Cells, TBIs, and Anti-Aging
- 221: Natural Movement, Sustainable Fitness, and Lifelong Health With Dr. Mark Cucuzzella
- 146: Is Chiropractic Safe and How to Detox Safely with Dr. Hardick
- 190: The Easiest Way to Track HRV, Sleep, and Movement With Oura Ring
- 20: Exercise, Movement & Pelvic Floor Health
- Alternatives to Using a Chair at a Desk
- How to Stimulate Vagus Nerve Function to Reduce Inflammation and Support the Brain
Did we tackle all of your questions on spinal health? What did we forget? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thank You to Today’s Sponsors
This episode is brought to you by Ritual Vitamins, which are specifically designed just for women. Ritual contains nine essential nutrients that most women don’t get enough of from just from food: vitamin B12 (as methylcobalamin), folate, vegan D3, vitamin K2, vitamin E, omega-3 fatty acids, boron, chelated iron and a proprietary form of magnesium. Ritual supplies them in forms that are easily absorbed and utilized, and all the capsules are vegan, gluten-free, allergen free and non-GMO. They have both a prenatal and a regular women multivitamin both designed specifically for women and synergistic for women hormones. Did you know that 40% of women can’t properly use folic acid due to an MTHFR gene variation? Ritual contains a natural form of folate and synergistic nutrients so the entire multi is more effective. In pregnancy especially, folate is vital. According to OBGYN Dr. Jason Rothbart, “most women don’t find out they are pregnant until around 4-7 weeks pregnant, which is past the first 28 days. In the first 28 days, the organs are rapidly forming. The neural tube (which becomes the central nervous system and vertebral column) is almost completely formed and closed by the end of 28 days.” The essential nutrient Folate helps promote healthy development neural tube. This is why many doctors recommend taking a quality prenatal for several months before trying to get pregnant. Ritual makes it easy with both a prenatal and regular women multivitamin. Learn more about both at wellnessmama.com/go/ritual
This podcast is sponsored by Thrive Market, a company I’ve known and loved since the very beginning. Their goal is to make real food affordable to everyone and they now help their half a million members, including me, get the organic foods we love delivered to our door for less! Think of an online combination of Costco and whole foods with tons of organic, allergy friendly, paleo, vegan, Keto and other options. The annual membership earns you free gifts and guaranteed savings, and sponsors a free membership for a low-income family. You’ll get 25-50% off top brands and I also always order the new Thrive Market brand products that provide an even bigger discount on their 500+ high quality products. Check it out and save 25% on your first order by going to thrivemarket.com/wm