I’m here with Jenny Sansouci, author of The Rebel’s Apothecary and an expert on all things cannabis, CBD, and mushrooms. These may sound like controversial or off-the-wall topics, but they are actually increasingly relevant in the research right now. Now that they are more widely available than ever, I thought they would be important to talk about today.
Jenny is a certified health coach and the creator of the blog Healthy Crush, where she’s been writing since 2008. She’s also a graduate from the Institute for Integrative Nutrition and trained in functional medicine with Dr. Frank Lippmann in New York City.
Jenny takes us through what got her into this in the first place, how these substances helped her dad in a health crisis, daily life, and why they remain part of her daily life.
Episode Highlights With The Rebel’s Apothecary
- The drastic story that led Jenny to research CBD and medicinal mushrooms
- Why following medical research helps cut through the controversy
- How she used different medicinal mushrooms to support her dad through stage 4 pancreatic cancer treatment
- How these substances can help chemotherapy patients
- Seven mushrooms that support the immune system
- The ways she uses these mushrooms in her daily life to stay healthy
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Jenny’s Healthy Crush blog
- The Rebel’s Apothecary: A Practical Guide to the Healing Magic of Cannabis, CBD, and Mushrooms by Jenny Sansouci
- Fantastic Fungi Movie
- AHCC Supplement
- Ojai CBD Oil
- Four Sigmatic
- The Artist’s Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity by Julia Cameron
- Paul Stamets video (Turkey Tail Mushrooms)
More From Wellness Mama
- 220: The Most Effective Way to Use CBD (& Why So Many Don’t Work) With Ojai Energetics
- 163: Fascinating Fungi & How to Use Medicinal Mushrooms With Tero Isokauppila
- 332: An Eastern, Ancient Traditional Approach to Health & Longevity With Simon Cheng of Pique Tea
- 132: How to Use Cannabidiol or CBD for Sleep, Hormones, and Health
- 11 Benefits of CBD Oil (Cannabidiol) & Why It’s Not What You Think
- Cordyceps Mushrooms Benefits for Anti-Aging, Endurance & Balance
- Chaga: King of Medicinal Mushrooms
- Lion’s Mane Mushroom Benefits for Cognition, Memory & More
What did you think? Any strong opinions after diving into the research? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is brought to you by Beekeeper’s Naturals. Beekeeper’s is on a mission to reinvent your medicine cabinet with clean remedies that actually work. One of my secret weapons is their B.LXR brain fuel, which is a caffeine free alternative for morning energy drinks, with some additional benefits. I take these little shots with me when I travel and use them when I need to be especially focused for podcasts or interviews or on the days I know I’ll be pole vaulting or having important conversations with my kids and I want to be really present and focused. B.LXR is really cool as it has royal jelly which is what bees feed to the growing queen in the hive, which feels appropriate since many days my house feels as busy as a bee hive! When I want to be my sharpest, coffee isn’t always the best solution because I can get jittery. B.LXR is like a productivity shot that delivers the same focus without the caffeine and it can lead to a healthier brain over time. It’s also packed with science-backed adaptogens like royal jelly, ginkgo and some other herbs that help you get in the zone while supporting brain health. We could all use a little extra support right now B.LXR is your brain fuel. I also really recommend trying their propolis throat spray for immune and all over support. We use this daily as a first line of defense and also at the first sign of tickly throat or sniffles. To upgrade your medicine cabinet and save 15% on your first order, go to beekeepersnaturals.com/wellnessmama. Meet your new medicine cabinet with Beekeeper’s Naturals.
This podcast is sponsored by Wellnesse, my new personal care company that creates products that go beyond just safe and natural and contain beneficial ingredients that nourish from the inside in. Many “clean” products simply don’t work. This is why I have spent the last decade researching and perfecting recipes for products that not only eliminate toxic chemicals but also have ingredients that work better than the conventional alternatives by your body from the outside in. I’m so excited to share these products with you and am especially proud of our whitening toothpaste which took years of formulating and dozens of rounds of tweaks to perfect. Our whitening toothpaste supports a healthy oral microbiome and strengthens tooth enamel naturally using ingredients such as hydroxyapatite, neem, and green tea to support tooth and gum health. Instead of fluoride, our formula contains green tea leaf extract, which is loaded with antioxidants. Plus, a phytochemical in green tea is shown to fight bacteria that leads to tooth decay. We combined this with hydroxyapatite (a naturally-occurring mineral and the main component of tooth enamel) with clinical studies that showing it can strengthen teeth and prevent cavities. Of course, fresh breath is paramount to good teeth brushing, and for that, we included peppermint leaf extract and neem. Neem prevents bacteria from sticking to teeth and turning into plaque. This protective measure means fewer bacteria, which leads to…fresher breath! Check out our whitening toothpaste along with all of our hair products at wellnesse.com and a tip – if you buy a bundle or auto-ship, you will receive a discount!