Today’s episode is a little different than our usual health topics and I’m excited to explore the extremely versatile uses of hemp, the carbon equation and how that comes into play, and how hemp can truly help save our planet.
I am here with the Deanna Byck who is the chief global engagement officer of a hemp company that’s working to do some of this work worldwide. She talks about how hemp can be used for everything from plastic to paper, and how right now our paper use alone is taking down several billion trees a year. And we’re below replenishment, where we’re going to run out of trees in about 60 years.
She talks about plastic use and how bioplastics made from hemp can help reduce our oil-based plastic use, how hemp is carbon sequestering, what that means for the environment, and the reason we are growing enough hemp at scale right now. She also talks about what it would take to make a change that would help actually start to reverse some of the damage that’s being done. Very fascinating episode about a very important topic and I’m ready to continue being a climate advocate with Deanna!
Episode Highlights With Deanna Byck
- The difference between hemp and cannabis (in traditional thinking and definition)
- THC is one of over 200 cannabinoids in the plant
- What THCV is and what it is used for
- The many ways hemp can be used from plastics to paper
- How paper use alone takes down several billion trees a year and we are below replenishment rate to run out in about 60 years
- What bioplastics are and how they can reduce plastic use (Wellnesse uses these)
- How hemp is carbon sequestering and takes carbon from the atmosphere and puts it back in the soil where it is needed
- The reason we aren’t growing enough hemp at scale for environmental change right now
- Why carbon isn’t a bad thing, but it is out of balance on a large scale
- How this leads to greenhouse gasses and how to reverse it
- What reversing this trend would look like and how quickly it could happen with large-scale hemp growth
- The climate, carbon, hemp connection
- How her company, Santa Fe Farms, is helping with the mission and also supporting indigenous people
Resources We Mention
- Santa Fe Farms
- Mountains beyond Mountains (The Quest of Dr. Paul Farmer, a Man Who Would Cure the World) – Tracy Kidder
More From Wellness Mama
- 132: How to Use Cannabidiol or CBD for Sleep, Hormones, and Health
- 220: The Most Effective Way to Use CBD (& Why So Many Don’t Work) With Ojai Energetics
- 358: A Practical Guide to CBD and Medicinal Mushrooms With The Rebel’s Apothecary
- 365: Why What We Put on Our Bodies Matters So Much and CBD Science With Jessica Assaf of Prima
- 11 Benefits of CBD Oil (Cannabidiol) & Why It’s Not What You Think
- Why Plastic Pollution Is Everyone’s Problem
- Plastic in the Ocean: How We Can All Reduce Single-Use Plastics
- How to Reduce Plastic Use in the Home
- The Dangers of Plastic
- Best Alternatives to Plastic Water Bottles
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This episode is sponsored by Four Sigmatic, superfood products that make my life easier, more focused, and improve my sleep. I have been talking about their ground and instant coffee for years, but I’ve recently added a new favorite to my list, their vanilla or peanut butter protein powder, although, really all their flavors are great. Like all of their elixirs and drinks, the protein powder is infused with superfood mushrooms for a brain and immune boost. I love to make a quick smoothie with their peanut butter protein powder and a coffee packet from them in the morning. And my kids love to do the same with their hot chocolate packets, which is also…those are a nighttime favorite in our house. Each group of protein powder has 18 grams of plant protein, 7 functional mushrooms and adaptogens, completely organic vanilla, and not a single grain, gum or gram of Stevia. You can try it and all of their products by going to foursigmatic.com/wellnessmama and use the code wellnessmama, all lowercase, one word, to save 10%.
This episode is sponsored by Wellnesse, that’s wellness with an E on the end. It’s my personal care brand of products that I created when I realized that some of my friends and family members were still using some pretty toxic personal care products simply because they worked better. I set out to create truly natural products that outperformed conventional alternatives, and Wellnesse is the result. Our super popular whitening toothpaste has been helping families create healthier oral microbiomes for a couple of years now. And our hair food, hair care nourishes the scalp from the outside in, which is why we get so many testimonials about hair regrowth and thicker, healthier hair. But today, I’m excited to tell you about our brand new silk floss. Most floss is actually plastic and can be coated with some pretty unsavory ingredients that you’re rubbing directly into your gums. Since what goes in the mouth goes into the rest of the body, we created a truly natural silk-based floss that is gentle, yet effective at keeping your teeth and gums clean and fresh. Check out our floss and all of our products at wellnesse.com.