There’s so much evidence that what we eat affects not only our bodies but our brains too. Today I sit down with Autumn Smith of Paleovalley, an amazing company that makes some of my favorite healthy snacks. Autumn explains why she became so committed to healthy eating that she even left her career being a fitness trainer (for Jennifer Lopez!) to pursue holistic nutrition.
Autumn’s advice is always so practical and helpful, and I’m excited to hear her thoughts on how we can support good mental health for ourselves and our kids with our food choices.
Episode Highlights: Autumn Smith of Paleovalley
- what the most recent science shows about the strong connection between food and mental health
- Autumn’s own struggle with IBS and the diet changes that turned her life around
- the hidden culprit behind many cases of depression
- why blood sugar issues may be mistaken for psychiatric symptoms
- the reasons gluten and dairy are problematic for so many
- common nutrient deficiencies in kids with ADHD
- whether or not GMOs are part of the problem
- and more!
Resources We Mention
- Glucometer (blood glucose monitor)
- Keto Mojo (ketone and blood glucose monitor)
- EverlyWell IGG test
- SRSLY gluten-free bread
- The Metabolic Approach to Cancer by Dr. Nasha Winters
- The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz
- Wired to Eat by Robb Wolf
“I think a lot of times in the Paleo space, we think a lot about what we’re not eating, no gluten, no soy, no dairy…. But what I find is not as many people are really focusing on, “What am I really eating?” And so I think if you are trying to get rid of a mental health issue by reducing inflammation, focusing on nutrient density is key.”
More From Wellness Mama
- 82: Discovering the SIBO Solution with Sylvie McCracken
- Lab Tests You Can Order From Home (Without A Doctor)
- My Experience With Water Fasting & Why I’ll Do It Again
- Why SIBO Leads to Major Health Problems (And How to Fix It)
- Gluten Is Not a Food Group
- Why You Should Never Eat Vegetable Oil or Margarine
Do you notice that certain foods affect your emotional and mental health? Or do you have questions for Autumn? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Many Thanks to Today’s Sponsors
This episode is brought to you by Thrive Market. Literally half of the items in my pantry right now are from Thrive Market and most are their Thrive market line. I’ve been shopping at Thrive Market for years and always order my pantry staples from them. Here’s a tip- when you check out Thrive, which you can do with a 30-day free membership just for being a listener of this podcast, click on the Thrive Market brand tab. These products are at an even bigger discount than their normal discounted prices and are super high quality. In our pantry, you’ll find their condiments like coconut aminos, almond butter, canned fish and tomato products, bulk baking ingredients, chia seeds and other seeds, nuts, and healthy snacks and more. Just for being a Wellness mama Podcast listener, you can get an extra 25% off your first purchase + a free 30-day membership to Thrive Market at thrivemarket.com/katie
This podcast is sponsored by Genexa. I love this company because they are creating cleaner and healthier medicines and homeopathic that are all organic and non-GMO. They extensively test everything and have a patented system that lets them create formulas that work without harmful additives. One of my favorites is their allergy formula… they have both a homeopathic kids version and an adult version that works wonderfully and I always take it with us when we travel or are in new environments. It’s also great for the one week a year my hubby has allergies in the spring. To shop their full line of organic and non-GMO medicines, go to Genexa.com/Wellnessmama and use code WELLNESS for 20% off your order!