Rowena Gates is a principal and vice president of the Eng3 Corporation, a life science technology company addressing health, wellness, and performance. She’s also a serial entrepreneur which is so inspiring to me personally.
Prior to joining Eng3, she spent six years as the founder and CEO of Aviarc, a company that provided Internet-based solutions for international trade. She has a whole list of other successful ventures as well. In addition she received a doctorate from the University of Washington for her dissertation on international strategic alliances.
As a science geek, I have no doubt I’ll be hanging on every word in this interview!
Episode Highlights With Rowena Gates
- What DNA damage is, how it occurs, and why it’s unavoidable (hello aging!)
- Some ways we can repair DNA damage as fast as possible
- Why telomeres are in the press lately (and what they are)
- The role proteins play in the body and why they’re important for DNA
- Free radicals: why the reactive oxygen species cause damage & what we can do about it
- Why too many antioxidants may be just as bad as not enough
- How the NanoVi works using ordered water help address inflammation, oxidative stress, and DNA damage, and more
- The reason I’m sold on this device (hint: it has to do with top-notch medical studies)
- Who’s using the NanoVi now (I’m on this list)
- NanoVi uses for dentistry
Quotables From Rowena
We don’t have a healthcare crisis as much as we have a health crisis. Solve the health part of it and the care part of it goes away.
We tend to focus on what’s wrong… but really what the body is doing right is just amazing. It’s fixing all this free radical damage — quadrillions of hits every day — and it does a lot of things right. [The body’s] capacity to fix things is almost unlimited.
Resources We Mention
- Rebounders I’ve used
- Practicing the Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle
- The Fourth Phase of Water by Gerald Pollack
More From Wellness Mama
- 169: From Advanced Stage Cancer to Remission in 7 Months on a Quest to Cure Cancer
- 9 Lessons Blue Zones Can Teach Us
- 7 Fun Ways to Exercise as a Family
- The Health Benefits of Nature
Did you enjoy the podcast? What questions do you have for Rowena? Let us know by dropping a comment below or leaving a review of the podcast!
Special Thanks to Today’s Sponsors!
This podcast is brought to you by Kettle and Fire. You may already know that this is my go-to bone broth because it is shelf-stable, easy to use, and delicious. But you may not know that Kettle and Fire just released brand new bone-broth based soups, which make it even more convenient to eat healthy on the go plus they save a lot of time when you’re trying to feed the whole family on a busy night. They have miso, tomato, and butternut soups and they are all really, really good. Plus, they have a 20-hour slow simmer process for their broth that extracts insane amounts of protein, 10g per serving. This process creates a collagen-rich broth that is great for hair, skin, and nails. Right now, you can save 10% by going to KettleandFire.com/mama (the discount is already built in!).
This episode is brought to you by Four Sigmatic. My kitchen is always stocked with their coffee mushroom blends, their Matcha mix, and their straight mushroom drinks. Four Sigmatic has figured out how to get the benefits of mushrooms like chaga, lions mane, cordyceps and reishi into delicious instant drinks. My current favorite is their adaptogen coffee blend that has tolsi and astragalus. But I love all of their products. They have options with or without caffeine so if you’re not a caffeine person you can find products that you will love. And I find that even their coffee blends that do contain caffeine have less than a normal cup of coffee. But don’t let this fool you. I have found that I get so much more focus and mental clarity from these mushroom blends than I do from regular coffee, and without the jitters. The addition of the mushrooms, which are considered nootropics, meaning that they are good for the brain makes these super food blends more effective and much healthier than just regular old coffee. I love them with a dash of macadamia milk personally. I also love that many of their drink mixes are instant and packaged into individual servings so they are perfect for travel or on the go. If you’re listening to this, then you can get a special offer just for listeners of this podcast by going to FourSigmatic.com/WellnessMama.