In her years of practice, Dr. Terry Wahls has helped thousands of people fight incredible odds. If you haven’t heard her story, prepare to be amazed. In 2000, Dr. Terry was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. Her health deteriorated, leaving her in a wheelchair and dependent on medication.
She fought back with years of medical training and good old fashioned research. What she found was a way forward based entirely on radical diet and lifestyle changes. Now, she’s healthy, active, and even rides her bike work!
Dr. Terry is now a sign of hope for countless others like her facing debilitating and chronic disease. Today we talk today about how the Wahls Protocol has far-reaching benefits not just for MS but for a whole variety of conditions including type 2 diabetes, obesity, rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus, fibromyalgia, and even traumatic brain injury.
Episode Highlights With Dr. Terry Wahls
- Dr. Terry’s response to her devastating MS diagnosis in 2000 (and how she is today!)
- Why a healthy diet for one person may be unhealthy for another
- How to get more vegetables in your diet, and which ones to eat
- The most common inflammatory foods to avoid
- Limitations (and benefits) of the paleo and ketogenic diets
- Dietary modifications everyone with an APOE-e4 gene should make
- The role of intermittent fasting
- Key factors for success when pursuing a lifestyle change
- How to help kids love healthy food
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- The Wahls Protocol: A Radical New Way to Treat All Chronic Autoimmune Conditions Using Paleo Principles (book)
- The Wahls Protocol Cooking for Life (cookbook)
Books Dr. Wahls Recommends
- The Nature Cure: A Doctor’s Guide to the Science of Natural Medicine
- Man’s Search for Meaning
- Jaws: The Story of a Hidden Epidemic
More From Wellness Mama
- 295: Health Foods That Are Actually Making Us Sick With Dr. Gundry of the Plant Paradox
- 194: Longevity, Autoimmunity, & Plant-Based Diets With Nora Gedgaudas
- 107: Improve Your Brain to Avoid Alzheimer’s, Dementia, & Memory Loss With Dr. Perlmutter
- 116: How to Reboot Your Metabolism Using the Keto Reset Diet With Mark Sisson
- How to Reverse MS Symptoms with the Wahls Protocol
- Egg Substitutes for Cooking and Baking
Have you read Dr. Wahl’s book? What did you think? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This episode is brought to you by Fabletics. They make cute and high quality athletic wear available to everyone and they’ve been my go-to place to shop for workout gear for years. I find myself constantly switching up my workout routine, from lifting weights and swimming, to currently training for a 5K with my kids. I always find cute gear that fits my activity at Fabletics. Here’s how it works… After taking a super quick, 60 second style quiz, you’ll receive a personalized showroom of pieces specifically catered towards your own unique style. Right now, you can get 2 leggings for only $24 ($99 value) as a VIP at fabletics.com/wellnessmama. This includes my favorite – the high waisted powerhold leggings that is flattering – even in all the places I have a little loose skin from past pregnancies. Make sure you enter your email address at the end of the quiz, as you’ll receive exclusive monthly discounts and the inside scoop about new collections that haven’t been released yet. Again, check out fabletics.com/wellnessmama and grab the deal while you can and check out my favorite powerhold leggings while they’re still in stock as styles change monthly.
This podcast is brought to you by the Kion Clean Energy Bar. We all know that finding healthy snacks for you and your kids is no simple task. Most snacks, even the so-called “healthy” ones, are high in sugar, have poor nutrient quality, and will leave you and you feeling tired or hungrier than you were before. That’s why my friends at Kion created the Kion Clean Energy Bar, a delicious, all-natural, snack that will satisfy your appetite and give you stable, long-lasting energy. My kids love these and I love that Kion bars are made from all real-food ingredients like coconut, almonds, and chia. They have zero refined sugar. They have a lot of healthy fats and clean protein to fuel the body and brain. They are naturally gluten, dairy, and soy-free. They contain electrolytes, vitamins, and minerals. And even though they are chocolate, they won’t melt in the heat or freeze in the cold. And they have a delicious chocolatey flavor and crunchy texture that you and your kids are gonna love. You can get 15% off of the Kion Clean Energy Bar by going to getkion.com/wellnessmama and using code MAMA15 at checkout.