Dr. Mark Hyman just might be a genius. Do you know why? His latest book title puts into words exactly what health-conscious moms in grocery aisles everywhere are thinking… “What the heck should we eat?!”
It’s certainly easy to get discouraged when sorting through all the conflicting health information out there. One health book says that meat is killing you (and the Earth); then I tell you grains aren’t the best; another source says don’t eat gluten, ever; and the latest diet book assures you all food is good, but only if you follow their 4-week, 3-phase meal plan!
Add on the fact that you’re not shopping just for you but putting food on the table for a whole family and it gets even more complicated. And if a few of those family members have health problems or food intolerances, well… it seems like a full-time job just to figure out what to eat.
Dr. Mark Hyman: It’s OK to Eat!
Today’s episode is a breath of fresh air and a good reminder that eating healthy doesn’t have to be stressful. Dr. Mark basically takes the best of everything he’s learned about food in his 40-year career as a family physician and functional medicine doctor and sums it up in an easy-to-understand and encouraging way.
And there’s really no one better to write about this topic. Dr. Mark Hyman is the medical director for the Cleveland Clinic for Functional Medicine and the chairman of the Institute for Functional Medicine, just to name a few of his credentials. He also has a knack for making the science very understandable and easy to put into practice, which is one of the reasons he’s author of 10 New York Times best-sellers.
Again, his newest release is called Food: What the Heck Should I Eat Now? and if you want to feel sane about food again… you need this book!
In This Episode You’ll Learn
- where our nutrition policies really come from
- the reason for all the confusion with diet in today’s world
- a sneaky connection between the food industry and dietary recommendations
- how government agencies ignore the data on food
- the real deal on sugar and carbohydrates and how much is ok (or not) according to the medical research
- surprising things that have more “sugar” than sugar
- how eating meat may actually reverse climate change… if done a certain way
- the big problem with how we farm meat and how to fix it
- what regenerative agriculture is and how it can help fix soil quality
- how organic vegetables contribute to climate change!
- understanding cholesterol and how much dietary cholesterol is ok
- the medical data on keto diets and if they work
- the foods you should always avoid
- how you can eat to improve the environment
- and more!
Resources We Mention
Learn more about Dr. Mark Hyman at DrHyman.com
Books by Dr. Hyman
- Food: What the Heck Should I Eat Now? (2018)
- Eat Fat, Get Thin: Why the Fat We Eat Is the Key to Sustained Weight Loss and Vibrant Health (2016)
- The Blood Sugar Solution 10-Day Detox Diet: Activate Your Body’s Natural Ability to Burn Fat and Lose Weight Fast (2014)
- The Blood Sugar Solution 10-Day Detox Diet Cookbook (2015)
- 2: How to Buy Real Food on a Budget
- 10: Don’t Count Calories & Why Diets Don’t Work
- 24: A Real Food Resource
- 38: The Reality of Real Food
- 55: Real Food Shopping Tips and Tricks
- 56: Teaching Kids to Cook Real Food
- 54: Baby Steps for Eating Real Food
- 131: Sourcing Sustainable Food and Healthy “Fast” Food with The Good Kitchen
- How to Do a Ketogenic Diet (& Is It Safe for Women?)
- Healthy School Lunch Ideas & Packing Tips
- How to Eat Healthy on a Budget & Money Saving Tips
- How to Get Kids to Eat Healthy Food
What are your food frustrations? Have any follow-up questions for Dr. Mark? Let me know in a comment below, or leave me a review on iTunes. I read each and every one, and my guests often do too and might answer your questions!
Thanks to Today’s Sponsors
This podcast is brought to you by Nutrition Genome. The most comprehensive genetic analysis on the market, Nutrition Genome covers 85+ clinically relevant genes across all of the major biochemical pathways. The test also includes a 50+ page report that really goes in-depth and gives feedback on your personal gene function and how to enhance your own gene expression. The analysis also provides foods that are best to emphasize and minimize, talks about toxins you’re more likely to be sensitive to, your genetic stress response, and even recommended blood work to optimize your genetic blueprint for long-lasting health and longevity. This testing doesn’t have the privacy concerns that some of the other popular genetic tests have, and we just did this with all our children. The results have been really helpful for customizing their diets and supplements. You can check it out and learn more and get the test at wellnessmama.com/go/nutrition-genome.
This episode is also brought to you by Four Sigmatic. You’ve heard me talk about Four Sigmatic before because I love their coffees, teas, and hot chocolates. They are delicious combinations of coffee, cocoa, and adaptogen herbs, plus with the benefits of chaga, cordyceps, and lion’s mane mushrooms for an extra brain boost and clean energy. My longtime favorite is their instant coffee but lately I’ve also really been enjoying their caffeine-free blends. Try out all of these delicious drinks at foursigmatic.com/wellnessmama and make sure to use the code WELLNESS MAMA to get 15% off of your order.