It may not be pleasant to think about, but chances are our homes probably aren’t as non-toxic as we’d like them to be. Modern carpets, paints, furniture, and cleaners all contribute to the problem, and it can feel like there’s not much we can do. Enter Kelly Love, one of the cofounders of Branch Basics and an expert on simple and easy ways to create a safer, low toxin home.
Branch Basics makes a completely non-toxic and multipurpose natural cleaner that I love. In fact it’s the only one in my pantry right now! I can make everything from hand soaps to dish soap to all purpose spray (and even laundry detergent!) all from one bottle.
Kelly and I talk about what the biggest offenders are when it comes to problems in the home, and how to stop feeling helpless through education and product choice.
Episode Highlights With Kelly Love
- Kelly’s story of how avoiding toxins changed her life
- Why your house probably isn’t as non-toxic as you think
- The importance of actually getting certain products out of your house (not just stopping using them)
- How even small exposure to certain chemicals can turn genes on and off
- Why we can’t rely on labeling to tell us everything
- The #1 illness in children and why toxins are a big contributor
- A healthy approach to dealing with bacteria and viruses
- How to balance your skin microbiome (while staying clean)
- A common preservative to avoid if you have asthma or allergies
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Branch Basics Use code Mama15 for 15% off starter kits
- Stink: Why Are Toxic Chemicals Hiding in America? (documentary on Netflix)
- Blog Post: Why Kids Need Dirt
- Blog Post: How I Use One Natural Plant-Based Cleaner to Clean the Whole House
- The Wellness Mama 5-Step Lifestyle Detox (book)
- The Read Aloud Family (book)
- Air Filters
- Berkey Water Filter
More From Wellness Mama
- 180: How Hidden Elements in Your Home Affect Your Mood & Health With Branch Basics Founder Marilee Nelson
- 348: How to Minimize Your Exposure to Toxins & Effective Detox Protocols With Dr. Sandison From Neurohacker
- 113: Toxic Metals That Cause Fatigue and How to Detox Them
- 198: How to Be Green Enough & Avoid the Worst Offenders in Your Home With Leah Segedie
- 175: When Natural Doesn’t Mean Safe & Creating Non-Toxic Homes With Green Design Center
- Do We Really Need Air Filters? (+ Reviews)
- The Best Houseplants for Purifying Indoor Air
- The Best Water Filter For Home Use (Pitcher, Charcoal, Under-Counter)
- 10 Toxic Ingredients to Avoid in Personal Care Products
Do you have questions or comments about this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is brought to you by Beekeeper’s Naturals. Beekeeper’s is on a mission to reinvent your medicine cabinet with clean remedies that actually work. I am a huge fan of these bee powered products and want to share about one of my favorites. It’s called B-powered and it’s a superfood honey that goes beyond all the amazing benefits of raw honey. My kids love this as a superpowered treat in the morning with yogurt and chia seeds and I love it for it’s many benefits. I’ll often grab a spoonful for a healthy energy boost when I need it during the day. But it is so much more than just that. I would say it’s probably the most powerful honey on the planet and that’s because this isn’t just any honey. It’s a therapeutic blend of propolis, royal jelly and bee pollen supports all day energy and immune function. Essentially, it’s a natural energy supplement that won’t have you crashing later in the day and I find sprinkling a little of sea salt on it makes it taste amazing and also gives an extra benefit with the electrolytes. It tastes delicious and you can add it into drinks or over foods like yogurt, toast, and smoothies It contains raw honey which is an easily digestible natural fuel and also bee pollen which is nature’s multivitamin and it contains free-forming amino acids and nutrients and is a denser protein source than animal protein (gram-for-gram). It’s been researched and used by Olympians to improve endurance and overall performance Propolis contains antioxidants and germ-fighting compounds, which work together to support immune health. And royal jelly is the food of the queen of the hive and contains the neurotransmitter acetylcholine and ultra unique fatty acids that promote mental clarity, brain health & focus. B. Powered is your all day energy support. I also recommend trying their propolis throat spray for defense at the first sign of a scratchy throat or sniffles and their B.LXR for a caffeine free energy boost that lasts all day. To upgrade your medicine cabinet and save 15% on your first order, go to beekeepersnaturals.com/wellnessmama to get 15% off.
This episode is brought to you by Gladskin, an incredible new product and resource for anyone who is struggling with eczema. This product is rooted in a really unique scientific understanding of the skin’s microbiome. Gladskin has unearthed an innovative new way to solve eczema that helps to treat the root and not just the symptom. It’s a new category of non-prescription eczema treatment rooted in endolysin science and has received recognition from today’s leading dermatologists and pediatricians. While most microbiome studies have focused on the health implications of what’s found deep in the gut we’re now finding that healthy skin, just like a healthy gut, requires a balance of bacteria. In fact, four out of five people with eczema have a specific type of imbalance in their skin bacteria or their skin microbiome. And this is where Gladskin comes in. When the skin balance bacteria gets out of balance, eczema is more likely to flare. So a targeted approach to that takes into account the microbiome’s good and bad bacteria is critical to relieving the redness and itching of eczema. Although new and unique in its approach in the U.S., this has already been a proven solution for eczema in Europe for five years and received recognition from leading dermatologists and pediatricians. It’s also been accepted by the National Eczema Association and is a different approach altogether compared to steroid creams and traditional over the counter moisturizers. The best part of Gladskin is hypoallergenic and free of steroids, fragrances, drying alcohols, and harmful preservatives. It’s stored fresh in a pharmaceutical quality bottle so they don’t need to use the chemical preservatives found in most over the counter creams and lotions. I hear from a lot of you whose children have eczema, and I’m so excited to get to share this resource. You can find out more and get an automatic 10% discount by going to wellnessmama.com/go/gladskin. To get a 10% discount, it should be automatic, but you can also use the code WellnessMama10 if you have any trouble.