Today we’re going deep on two very important topics in today’s modern world: toxins and detox. I’m here with Dr. Heather Sandison, the founder and medical director of the North County Natural Medicine Clinic and founder of Neurohacker and Marama, a unique residential care facility for the elderly. Dr. Sandison specializes in brain health, especially autism, ADD, depression, anxiety, and Alzheimer’s.
In this episode, we talk about how you can minimize your exposure to common toxins and ways to effectively detox from the three big offenders, all by optimizing your natural detox systems.
Episode Highlights With Dr. Sandison of Neurohacker
- How naturopathic doctors are trained & what makes them different from conventional doctors
- Most common toxins in today’s world and how to limit exposures
- The five organs that detoxify the body (and how to help them do their job)
- Why we should open the windows every day
- How to pay attention to what’s in your drinking water
- What happens to the liver when we drink alcohol
- Simple lifestyle hacks that help detoxify like rebounding and dry brushing
- How mycotoxins (mold) might be undermining your health, and what to do about them
- Advancements in the treatment of Alzheimer’s
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Neurohacker.com (enter WELLNESSMAMA for 15% off)
- Air Filters (Wellness Mama recommended)
- IQ Air MultiGas Air Purifier (Dr. Sandison recommended)
- Dry Brush
- Castor Oil Pack
- Toxic: Heal Your Body from Mold Toxicity, Lyme Disease, Multiple Chemical Sensitivities, and Chronic Environmental Illness by Neil Nathan
- The End of Alzheimer’s: The First Program to Prevent and Reverse Cognitive Decline by Dale Bredesen
More From Wellness Mama
- How to Make & Use Castor Oil Packs
- Ways to Activate the Lymphatic System to Boost Immunity
- Ice Bath Benefits: How Cold Therapy Improves the Body and the Brain
- Dry Brushing for Skin: 5 Benefits & How to Do It the Right Way
Have you ever tried these detox methods? What suggestions do you have for our next episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is brought to you by Four Sigmatic… a company I’ve loved for years for their superfood mushroom based products. They use mushrooms like lions mane, chaga, cordyceps and reishi in delicious products. Did you know that mushrooms are more genetically similar to humans than plants are? And that they breathe oxygen and exhale CO2 just like we do but mushrooms spores can survive the vacuum and radiation of space. These amazing fungi are always a part of my daily routine in some way, usually with Lion’s Mane Coffee or Matcha in the morning, Plant protein and mushroom elixirs like chaga and cordyceps during the day and reishi at night to wind down. As a listener of this podcast, you can save on all Four Sigmatic products. As a listener of this podcast, you can save on all Four Sigmatic products by going to foursigmatic.com/wellnessmama and using the code “wellnessmama” to save 15%.
This episode is sponsored by Everlywell, at-home lab tests that you can get without a doctors order! I’ve used many of their tests and can recommend a couple that have been especially helpful. They have an at-home allergy test for 40 of the most common allergens using the same CLIA-certified labs used by Allergists/Doctors. The labs are reviewed by an independent physician and measure IgE levels of common allergens including pet dander, mold, trees, grasses, and more. I also really like their food sensitivity tests that test for IgG reactions. This was a big key for me in my health recovery, as there were foods that didn’t show up as an allergy that were causing inflammation. I used an elimination diet, but this food sensitivity test also filled in the missing piece of the puzzle for me. Through healing my gut, I’ve been able to remove all sensitivities except for eggs. Finding out I was highly sensitive to eggs made a huge difference for me, as I ate them often as an inexpensive protein source. I feel so much better now that I don’t eat eggs and I would never have known that without this test! I also use their at-home Vitamin D test to keep an eye on those levels. Check out all of their tests at wellnessmama.com/go/everlywell. Use code MAMA10 for 10% off orders.