Dr. Izabella Wentz is a pioneering expert in lifestyle interventions for treating Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, which I have. She was also diagnosed at age 27, and in search of answers, conducted an incredible amount of research to create her own autoimmune protocol.
In addition to her New York Times bestseller Hashimoto’s Protocol, she just wrote a new book called Hashimoto’s Food Pharmacology: Nutrition Protocols and Healing Recipes to Take Charge of Your Thyroid Health. I’ve read it and it’s totally awesome. It includes a ton of recipes and a complete nutrition plan for anyone struggling with Hashimoto’s. Her passion and knowledge on the subject really shines through.
If you suspect you might have a thyroid imbalance or have been diagnosed with Hashimoto’s, definitely don’t miss this episode!
Episode Highlights With Izabella Wentz
- What it means if you have Hashimoto’s disease
- Why Hashimoto’s is one of the most common autoimmune conditions
- The genetic conditions that might mean we’re more likely to develop a thyroid problem
- What food sensitivities have to do with it
- The hidden culprit that might be in our gut
- Important nutrients to supplement when you have impaired digestion or a limited diet
- Why to test vitamin D, and how often to get retested
- Dr. Izabella’s food and supplement prescription for thyroid balance
- The two foods that can start to turn around a thyroid condition right away
- Whether you need to avoid cruciferous vegetables if you have Hashimoto’s
- Easy substitutes for dairy and grains
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- “How to Eat for Thyroid Health on a Budget” by Dr. Izabella Wentz
- Hashimoto’s Food Pharmacology: Nutrition Protocols and Healing Recipes to Take Charge of Your Thyroid Health
- Other books by Dr. Izabella Wentz
- The Body Ecology Diet by Donna Gates
- Free! Get recipes from Dr. Izabella’s new book here!
- Instant Pot Pressure Cooker: Review + Recipes
- How to Make Bone Broth (Recipe)
- Cucumber Lime Veggie Green Smoothie Recipe
More From Wellness Mama
- 118: An At-Home Approach to Balancing Thyroid Hormones with McCall McPherson
- 45: How to Lose Weight with Thyroid Problems
- 43: How to Get a Correct Thyroid Diagnosis
- 166: Understanding Autoimmunity & the Mind/Body Connection With Body Belief Author Aimee Raupp
- 204: The Rise of Autoimmune Disease (& How to Thrive Even If You Have It) With Dr. Guillermo Ruiz
- 182: Why You Need to Exercise Differently If You Have Autoimmune Disease (& How) With Autoimmune Strong
- 165: How to Make Simple Green Smoothies a Daily Habit (Even on a Tight Budget!)
- Thyroid Problems & Cruciferous Vegetables
- How to Boost Thyroid Function Naturally
- When Iodine Might Be Bad For Your Thyroid
- Thyroid Health 101
- Thyroid Problems & Coconut Oil
- How to Know If You Have Hashimoto’s Disease (& What to Do)
- Vitamin B12 Deficiency and Depression
- Are You Getting Enough Vitamin D?
Did you enjoy this episode? What other questions do you have about hormones? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thank You to Today’s Sponsors
This episode is sponsored by Just Thrive probiotics. I found this company when searching for the most research backed and effective probiotic available and I was blown away at the difference in their products! They offer two cornerstone products that are both clinically studied and highly effective. The first is their probiotic, which has been clinically studied to help with leaky gut and to survive up to 1,000 times as much as other probiotics or the beneficial organisms in something like Greek yogurt for instance. The difference is, their spore-based strains work completely differently than other types of probiotics. Also, this probiotic is vegan, dairy free, histamine free, non-GMO, and is made without soy, dairy, sugar, salt, corn, tree nuts or gluten—so it’s safe for practically everyone. I even sprinkle it in my kids’ food and bake it into products since it can survive at up to 400 degrees! Their probiotic contains a patented strain called Bacillus Indicus HU36®, which produces antioxidants in the digestive system where they can be easily absorbed by body. Their other product is a K2-7, and this nutrient—you may have heard of it—is known as the “Activator X,” the super-nutrient studied by Weston A. Price, a dentist known primarily for his theories on the relationship between nutrition, good health, bone development, and oral health. He found this prevalent in foods in the healthiest communities in the world. Their K2 is the only pharmaceutical grade, all-natural supplement with published safety studies. Like the probiotic, this is also gluten, dairy, soy, nut and GMO free. Both are best taken with food so I keep both on the table. My dad has trouble remembering to take supplements so he taped them to the pepper shaker, which he uses daily, and they’re now on his daily list as well. Check them out at justthrivehealth.com/wellnessmama and use the code WELLNESSMAMA15 to save 15%!
This podcast is also brought to you Ojai Energetics. This is the best CBD I’ve ever tried and the one I feel is the best out there. It is called Ojai Energetics and here’s why I love it… First, it’s over 20x more absorbable that most CBD, which makes it an incredible value. Over 99% of Ojai CBD gets where it needs to go in your body because of their patented colloidal technology (it is not liposomal) like 90% of the CBD on the market. In fact 90% of the CBD in these oils don’t even make it past the gut and liver and into the blood. This is called “The First Pass Effect.” Then 90% of the CBD that does make it isn’t available to the cells that need it. Ojai solves this problem with their colloidal system. I was skeptical and the first time I tried it, I felt a noticeable effect in about 15 seconds which is so much faster than the 20-30 minutes with other brands I’ve used! So now whenever I feel any stress or anxiety or have problems sleeping, I use their CBD oil. Their CBD is derived from completely organic ingredients and batch tested by third party vendors for heavy metals, VOCs, pesticides, herbicides, microbes, and for the content of terpenes & cannabinoids. Because this version absorbs faster, you also can know if you’re getting the right dose, as too much is not optimal. Here’s how: Because Ojai works so rapidly, it causes your body’s cannabinoid receptors in the tongue to modulate. The taste will be bitter when your body needs more CBD, but will change to sweet when you have had enough. So to test this, just take a ¼ dropper, wait 30 seconds, then taste if it’s bitter or sweet. Then repeat until sweet. Ojai is also a certified B-corp and they operate their servers off of wind power, use completely recyclable packaging, and work to build relationships with the farmers who grow the ingredients they use, ensuring fair trade wages and only supporting regenerative farming practices. Find out more about them and get a special gift at ojaienergetics.com/wellnessmama