Ever been stressed out as a parent? Maybe you’re the mom who has it all together and stays calm all the time, but I’m not and that is precisely why I invited today’s guest, Heather Chauvin from the “Mom Is in Control” Podcast. Many call her the next generation’s thought leader in parenting and women’s leadership, and I agree!
Heather’s mission is to crack women open to their deep potential by finding their version of success without working from a place of stress. As a recovering perfectionist I can definitely use some of this advice, and I’m so thankful Heather is sharing her hard-won wisdom!
Episode Highlights with Heather Chauvin
- How Heather went from ambitious entrepreneur to burned out, overstressed, and in the ER
- The wake-up call that came in the form of a frightening medical diagnosis
- Why so many women struggle with making self-care a priority (guilty as charged!)
- The cultural epidemic of parenting from stress, and how to turn the tide
- Surrender for moms: when to let go
- “Mom tantrums” and why we might have more in common with our children than we think!
- Strategies for managing toddler meltdowns
- Ways to fight mom guilt and prioritize ourselves in order to give back to our families
- And more!
Favorite Quotables From Heather
Sometimes you need to slow down to speed up.
We try to control outward things because we feel out of control internally.
Just saying “I need space” is probably the greatest gift you’ll ever give your children because when you are full, when you are present, you’ll get so much further than just putting out fires on a daily basis.
Resources We Mention
- Teach Your Kids to Meditate Program
- TedX Talk, “Dying to Be a Good Mother”
- Danielle LaPorte, The Desire Map: A Guide to Creating Goals With Soul
- Dr. Shefali Tsabary, The Conscious Parent: Transforming Ourselves, Empowering Our Children
- Tsabary, The Awakened Family: How to Raise Empowered, Resilient & Empowered Children
More From Wellness Mama
- 261: Practical Tips and Mom Hacks From Physical Kitchness Chrissa Benson
- 162: Meditation for Fidgety Skeptics & How to Be 10% Happier
- Tips to Naturally Reduce Stress… Starting Now!
- Overprotected Childhood: How Keeping Kids Safe Is Actually Harming Them
- 9 Important Skills We Owe It to Our Kids to Teach Them
- 46 Ways to Give Experiences Instead of Stuff This Year (Even Last Minute)
- Lessons to Learn From Children
- 9 Easy Ways to Boost Your Child’s Health
- 9 Lessons We Can Learn From Europe (Food, Wine & Sleep)
- Talking to Yourself with Self-Compassion (& Why It’s Healthy)
- How Minimalism With a Family Is Possible (& Life Changing!)
- 9 Lessons We Can All Learn From Blue Zones
Does this topic strike a chord with you? What do you think of Heather’s advice? Also, please take two minutes to leave a review on iTunes. I value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well!
Special Thanks to Today’s Sponsors!
This podcast is brought to you by Sol Organix. These are some of my favorite sheets in the world, and here’s why. We spend about a third of our life sleeping, so our sleep environment is a really big deal. And that is why I prioritize organic sheets and bedding, and organic pajamas for my kids because some types of bedding can contain plastic fibers and even pesticide residue from non-organic natural fibers. But Sol Organix uses 100% fair trade organic cotton to make super soft, luxurious sheets at an affordable price. They also donate $7.50 to charity with every purchase made on their site. And right now, they’re offering a special deal just for listeners of this podcast. Get 20% off your purchase plus free shipping in the US by using the code wellness20, all lowercase, through this exclusive link.
This podcast is brought to you by SteadyMD. I’ve been using this company for the past year and I love them. Here’s how it works. Instead of having a primary doctor that you have to make an appointment to see, wait for hours in the office to visit, you can now have your doctor available whatever you need him or her through your phone. SteadyMD has a staff of doctors who are available via call, text or video chat whenever you need them, so they respond quickly and they already know your medical history. You get paired with a single doctor so you can work with them as a long-term partner for your health. They’re well versed in lab testing, preventative health, and functional medicine and they’re great for those random obscure off-hours medical questions so you don’t have to run to urgent care. You can check them out and see if they are right for you by visiting SteadyMD.com/wellnessmama. They do have limited spots available, so I’d check them out quickly if you’re interested.