I feel very fortunate get to talk to so many doctors who are changing healthcare for the better. I’m here with Dr. Maryann Prewitt, a functional medicine physician and gynecologist based in Dallas, Texas. You can find her at HealthWellnessMD.com. She’s going to introduce us to a lot of really cool anti-aging science and some great holistic, non-invasive options for being your best self at any age.
If you’re feeling your age (or older) or just want to take a preventative approach for the future, definitely check out this episode!
Feel Your Best With HealthWellnessMD
Just because we reach a certain age doesn’t mean we can’t look and feel healthy. I love how Dr. Prewitt focuses on aging not just “gracefully,” but proactively.
Rather than resorting to temporary fixes to manage symptoms, Dr. Prewitt combines the best of anti-aging medicine and natural methods to nourish and optimize the body from the inside out. Her protocols include science-based nutrition, physician-guided fitness, laser medicine, thyroid management, and hormone therapy for the best sexual, emotional, and physical health.
This is a super-packed episode with a lot of information, so don’t forget to check out the resources below if you want to dive deeper into some of the things we talk about.
(A quick heads-up: We will be talking about natural ways to improve sexual health problems, so use your judgment if you’re listening with kids around.)
In This Episode You’ll Learn
- some shocking statistics on hypothyroidism in women (that apply to 70-80% of us!)
- why sexual intimacy shouldn’t be left out of the doctor/patient conversation
- the little-known role of testosterone in women’s health
- how only 20% of physicians know how to treat the thyroid
- which country ranks 28th in health but spends the most on healthcare (you can probably guess)
- the new science called gerontology and what it’s doing to solve problems associated with aging
- a painless and non-invasive treatment for incontinence that actually works
- why a return to sexual wellness should be a regular part of postpartum care
- how to rejuvenate the pelvic floor using sound waves
- the connection between heart disease and erectile dysfunction
- downsides to pharmaceutical solutions to ED
- vaginal rejuvenation solutions for women
- whether or not hormone therapy is safe
- which lifestyle factors and supplements to optimize for hormone balance and thyroid health
- why you might want to avoid statin medications, and what to do instead
- how to cultivate a healthy understanding of sexual health (and help your kids to, also)
- and more!
Resources We Mention
- Learn more about Dr. Prewitt and her practice at HealthWellnessMD.com
- Book: Dr. Valter Longo, The Longevity Diet
- Muscle Activation Technique
- GAINSWave for men
- FemiLift for women
- ADK2 supplement
- Vitamin D
- Meriva (Curcumin) supplement
- Thorne LipoCardia
Related Episodes & Articles
- 43: How to Get a Correct Thyroid Diagnosis
- 109: Vaginal Health, Menopause, and Hormone Therapy with Dr. Anna Cabeca
- 108: Why the Birth Control Pill Screws Up Hormones & What to Use Instead
- 117: Fitness at Any Age with Flipping 50s Debra Atkinson
- 118: An At-Home Approach to Balancing Thyroid Hormones with McCall McPherson
- 130: Biohacking for Moms & Reversing Aging with Bulletproof’s Dave Asprey
- 152: Foods for Hormone Balance With Magdalena Wszelaki
- How to Boost Thyroid Function Naturally
- 9 Tips to Help Balance Hormones Naturally
- Are You Getting Enough Vitamin D?
Do you have questions for Dr. Prewitt? Let her know in the comments and we will try to help! And please, take two minutes to leave a review on iTunes. I value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Special Thanks to Today’s Podcast Sponsors
This episode is brought to you by Four Sigmatic. My kitchen is always stocked with their coffee mushroom blends, their Matcha mix, and their straight mushroom drinks. Four Sigmatic has figured out how to get the benefits of mushrooms like chaga, lions mane, cordyceps and reishi into delicious instant drinks. My current favorite is their adaptogen coffee blend that has tolsi and astragalus. But I love all of their products. They have options with or without caffeine so if you’re not a caffeine person you can find products that you will love. And I find that even their coffee blends that do contain caffeine have less than a normal cup of coffee. But don’t let this fool you. I have found that I get so much more focus and mental clarity from these mushroom blends than I do from regular coffee, and without the jitters. The addition of the mushrooms, which are considered nootropics, meaning that they are good for the brain makes these super food blends more effective and much healthier than just regular old coffee. I love them with a dash of macadamia milk personally. I also love that many of their drink mixes are instant and packaged into individual servings so they are perfect for travel or on the go. If you’re listening to this, then you can get a special offer just for listeners of this podcast by going to wellnessmama.com/go/four-sigmatic.
This podcast is brought to you by Nutrition Genome. The most comprehensive genetic analysis on the market, Nutrition Genome covers 85+ clinically relevant genes across all of the major biochemical pathways. The test also includes a 50+ page report that really goes in-depth and gives feedback on your personal gene function and how to enhance your own gene expression. The analysis also provides foods that are best to emphasize and minimize, talks about toxins you’re more likely to be sensitive to, your genetic stress response, and even recommended blood work to optimize your genetic blueprint for long-lasting health and longevity. This testing doesn’t have the privacy concerns that some of the other popular genetic tests have, and we just did this with all our children. The results have been really helpful for customizing their diets and supplements. You can check it out and learn more and get the test at wellnessmama.com/go/nutrition-genome.