I’m here today with Dr. Mindy Pelz, who is such a wealth of information I don’t even really know where to start! Dr. Mindy has built one of the largest natural family wellness clinics in the San Francisco Bay Area. She’s especially knowledgeable on the role of generational toxins on health — a long term that simply means the toxins we pass on to our kids.
Dr. Mindy Pelz on Generational Toxins
It turns out we pass on more to our kids than our eye or hair color. Kids can also inherit mom’s bioaccumulation of toxins and heavy metals from their time in utero. This isn’t something to feel guilty about, but it is a hidden factor to consider when we’re trying to solve any health struggles our kids may have.
Dr. Mindy looks at all aspects of a person’s health using everything from gut repair to functional nutrition testing to heavy metal testing, fasting, supplements, chiropractic care, and even mindfulness. She’s even worked with Olympic and professional athletes!
I know we all wish we had more doctors like her around, so it’s great to get a chance to get some of her great advice on the podcast today.
In This Episode You’ll Learn
- the two main areas of toxins we can pass down to our kids … and how it happens
- why epigenetics is an area of health we can’t ignore
- ways to navigate an increasingly toxic world (and protect our kids)
- why families share a microbiome … and how to protect and repair it
- easy (and safe) ways to introduce fasting, detoxing, and the ketogenic diet in a family
- how to test kids for bacterial diversity and generational toxins
- clues that tell whether or not your children might benefit from testing
- and more!
What questions would you ask Dr. Mindy? Please share in the comments or leave me a review on iTunes. I read each and every comment, and my guests often do too and might answer your questions!
Resources We Mention
Learn more about Dr. Mindy and try out her 21 Day Reset at DrMindyPelz.com.
- The Reset Factor: 45 Days to Repairing Your Health by Transforming Your Gut
- The Reset Factor Kitchen: 101 Tasty Ways to Eat Your Way to Wellness, Burn Belly Fat, and Maximize Your Energy
- Mother Dirt
- Restore Nasal Spray
- The Longevity Diet by Valter Longo
- Books by Dr. Jason Fung: The Obesity Code: Unlocking the Secrets of Weight Loss and The Complete Guide to Fasting
- Missing Microbes: How the Overuse of Antibiotics Is Fueling Our Modern Plagues
- Carb Manager App
Related Podcasts & Articles
- 116: How to Reboot Your Metabolism Using the Keto Reset Diet With Mark Sisson
- 113: Toxic Metals That Cause Fatigue & How to Detox Them
- 134: Five Benefits of Fasting, Autophagy, Diet Variation & Cellular Healing with Dr. Daniel Pompa
- How to Do a Ketogenic Diet (& Is It Safe for Women?)
- Intermittent Fasting: Can Skipping Meals Make You Healthier?
- How to Detox Heavy Metals Safely (& Get More Energy)
Special Thanks to Our Podcast Sponsors
This podcast is brought to you by Vivos. This is something we recently invested in for our entire family and we are absolutely loving it! Here’s why. So, data shows that the nutrition we receive in utero determines our palate development and how narrow or open our airway and jaw structure are. So a narrow mouth, jaw, and airway increase the chances of needing braces, of getting sleep apnea, breathing difficulties, and much more. Vivos has created a non-invasive, non-surgical, easy way of widening the maxilla, the jaw, and the airway. So for our kids, this means that they get to avoid the braces that my husband and I both had. It also means my husband’s sleep apnea has disappeared and he stopped snoring, which is a bonus for me. I’ll be writing more about this soon but you can check them out in the meantime at wellnessmama.com/go/vivos.
This podcast is brought to you by Homebiotic. We all know about our microbiome and most of us know about our oral microbiome and even our skin microbiome. But it’s easy to forget that we live in a microbial environment as well and our home environment influences our health too. The overuse of disinfectants and harsh cleansers has led to an overgrowth of less than optimal bacteria in many homes. Those of us with little kids have children sitting on the floor of our homes and interacting with that bacteria on a daily basis. So, my solution to this has been Homebiotic. This is a natural probiotic spray for the home that neutralizes odors, germs, and even mold. You can check it out at wellnessmama.com/go/home-biotic.